Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.4 Average
SpedeMix of Motherload
I've been discussing about this song in other subthreads but just realized I never submitted my own mix of this tune which I conducted exactly a year ago! Big Grin I imported the mix into my iTunes 4.12.2013.

EDIT: just realized I had dloaded these tracks from telefunken ages ago; it seems the cambridge subforum has been created fairly recently.

Although it's been a year, I remember not using any of the room mics since I considered them useless. Instead I panned all the instruments LCR and with polarity switches (and perhaps the tiniest amount of time alignment) created the soundstage from the bleed. That's why the accordion seems to be closer to center than the acoustic guitar in the right side: it's leaking more to the lead vocal (which obviously is dead center). The only instrument which remained slightly too vague for my taste is the bass which seems to emanate from all around instead of a single point (I'd like it to be tighter stage-wise).

After getting the polarities right the mix came together really quickly; all in all I spent 56 minutes on this one Smile

A touch of delayed reverb in the lead vocal made sure it stays the largest and most upfront instrument in the mix.

.m4a    Merry_Gold_SpedeMix.m4a --  (Download: 8.95 MB)

Hey man.

Great mix. Really.. I agree with you about the room mics, I got rid of them when I was mixing this song then added them at about 5% just to fill up a little bit. Only critique I have on your mix is that there are some parts of the vocals that are too loud, but not a big deal. Nice job.
One of the best mixes out here. I found the double bass a little bit too tamed in the mix.
Wolfstag.ca - Wolfstag Studios (recording, mixing, mastering)
Wolfstag.bandcamp.com - Wolfstag Records