Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Huge fan of ABR and Killswitch. Here's my mix.
I just discovered this site, even though I've been hoping to come across something like it for years now. Loved this song. Kind of disappointed that everything was already compressed and set up for success, haha. I'm used to taking huge strides in repairing terribly recorded takes and extreme bleed from drums and vocals at live shows. This was my first time mixing a true metal song, even though I've always been a huge fan of August Burns Red, Between the Buried and Me and Killswitch. I did very little to most of the tracks, because like I said, everything sounded pretty top notch and good to go. I did, however, cut lots of lows (like 120db below 50-60hz for most tracks!), probably just for safety measures. I notched out the 80hz on bass and built a small 80hz boost on kick, even though the relationship was pretty tight already. Need lots of attack on kick/snare, so the snares were an afterthought in the mix. Everything was extremely tight already, so no need for tweaking. I usually do a light mid scoop in between the body and attack of each tom, to really give that huge feeling without losing too much tone. Guitars and bass had amazing tone, already; I just mid-scooped a little bit on bass and low-cut the guitars up to around 150-ish. All those background vocals made the whole thing so much more interesting! Very cool to build up with. Tried to pan drums stage-side, like most pros, even though I prefer to hear it the other way, cause I'm a drummer. Let me know what you think of my mix. I know there's a lot of other mixes that sound similar in retrospect, but I'd love to hear from anyone that has any insight. Thanks!

.mp3    Burning Bridges.mp3 --  (Download: 8.56 MB)

I like it, but I kind of miss some of the bottom end you took out. I think all of your EQ ideas are good, but just a little too heavy-handed. So maybe do all the same stuff, just less so. Let that low end of the guitars come through, just tame it a bit. I like how you featured the background vocals, but I think they overpower the lead vocal and the guitar at a few points, so maybe bring them back a touch. I know at a couple points the toms got a little crazy to my ear, too. Also, I don't know what "pro's" in metal pan their drums, but I think the kick and snare should always be centered, and that's the way I always hear it in metal.

Its a good mix overall. I enjoyed it. Smile
-Mac