Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preliminary mix practicing placement
Hi all!

not sure if I'll go any further, havent done the fine tweaking every mix deserves, just put a quick mix together to practice putting things in the spots I wants em and wanted for the longest time to experiment with mono drums- comments are welcome

here's what i got so far:

.mp3    Backroom in Tulsa Prelim Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 8.03 MB)

I'm gonna go with final mix on this rather than preliminary, for my taste it captures the spirit and essence of the song. I feel some may say the vocals are too loud, but here is my justification for their current level - the vocals are the personality of this song, they are the story, and the supporting players are merely bystanders to this story telling event. A stranger enters an old west saloon, everything gets quiet except for the stranger, who is the center of attention, the stranger comes to you, he's in your ear, sitting next to you as you smile and puff your cigar, the rest of the shadowy cast of players go back to playing cards, with one ear to the storyteller, the drummer over there on the right, the piano on the left in the corner alongside the staircase, one guitarist up there on the walkway up the stairs. Anyway, that's what I saw in my head before I started this mix, so my question to you is did you see this as well while hearing my mix, did you get drawn into the story, that's the type of translation I'm looking for, not whether it plays well on this stereo or that, but does it play well in your mind.
Hello,

Good job on getting the vocals upfront. The lyrics are an important part of the music I write, so it is nice to have that considered when the songs are mixed.

I noticed that you used the scratch vocal track in the beginning. Any reason? Many people seem to have used it in the intro, even though it is me simply getting the starting note on the piano before I started to sing.

The intro section is interesting with the reverb going off to the right. It almost feels like a dream or a David Lynch movie. I kind of like it.

The one thing I did find distracting was the guitar echo in the left speaker. It messes with the tight groove of the guitar, leaving a trail that sounds sloppy to me.

Overall you had a plan and stuck to it. Good job.

Thanks,
Wesley

(02-01-2013, 03:28 AM)Newtonbach Wrote: Hi all!

not sure if I'll go any further, havent done the fine tweaking every mix deserves, just put a quick mix together to practice putting things in the spots I wants em and wanted for the longest time to experiment with mono drums- comments are welcome

here's what i got so far:

I only used one vocal track, I assumed it was the primary, but I liked the beginning of it reminded me of Tom Waits so I left it. Great feedback, I'll adjust the echo timing on the guitar. Thanks for taking the time to listen and respond :-)
I think it sounds great!

Good job!
Paul.
- You can't have everything in life. Where would you put it? -