Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Who I Am Mix
Hi,

Much fun to mix these typical country-style tracks!

In my opinion the drums had quite some cymbal bleed, which I tried to tackle. For me the banjo was a key string instrument, followed by the fiddle for the accents.

Happy to hear your feedback!

RJ

.mp3    Who I Am RJMIX2c.mp3 --  (Download: 4.17 MB)

.mp3    Who I Am RJMIX3 testb.mp3 --  (Download: 4.17 MB)

Hi!

Nice mix, just a few things... Smile

- Lead vocals are a little loud (on the verses), and/or a bit dry. I donĀ“t mean that you should slap on a Hall reverb but something to make it "sit" in the mix.

- Backing vocals could use some compression, they kind of "pop up" on occasion. And maybe some low end subtraction.

Minor details, overall a good mix! Good job!

Cheers
/J
Hi, Jamolir

Thanks for your feedback.
I agree on your vocal comments, they were a bit too much up-front.

Pulled them 1dB down. Mix1 is replaced by mix2 Smile

RJ
RJ,

I agree that the banjo and the fiddle play a critical role in this song. Unfortunately I did not have the opportunity to listen to your original mix (currently I don't have the means to listen to anything at all, but that's another story).

Generally I'd prefer if people would not replace their original mixes with updates, but add the updates, be it in an edit of the original post or in a subsequent post.

That would enable the listener (which happens to be me) to understand the development, and I guess that (to understand why and how we get from A to B) is what most people are here for.

I'm looking forward to listening to your mix asap :-)

Marc

Marc, good point. I'll keep it there next time!
Looking forward to your feedback.

RJ
Hi Marc, I am still curious for your response! Wink

RJ

(02-01-2013, 08:18 AM)ERJEE Wrote: Marc, good point. I'll keep it there next time!
Looking forward to your feedback.

RJ

(01-01-2013, 10:57 AM)ERJEE Wrote: Hi,

Much fun to mix these typical country-style tracks!

In my opinion the drums had quite some cymbal bleed, which I tried to tackle. For me the banjo was a key string instrument, followed by the fiddle for the accents.

Happy to hear your feedback!

RJ

The first thing to jump out at me here was the odd "boxy" feeling to the vocals. Almost immediately, however, I realized how well the sound fit. It sounded like he was in a car driving so my mind immediately started picturing an opening for the music video, the lead singer sitting behind the wheel of a pickup truck...

THAT was cool. I knew at that point I was in for an enjoyable mix. Cool

Overall balance was pretty much spot on with the exception of the background vocals. As seems to be common with mixes of this song, they were too low; try bringing them up 2-3 dB.

I did have one significant complaint. It sounds to me like a fair amount of compression was used in the mastering stage. My opinion? Dump that compression entirely; it doesn't suit this type of music IMHO. I suspect it'll sound a LOT better without it. Wink

If it wasn't for the compression, I suspect this mix would've given Voelund's phenomenal mix a run for its money. Big Grin
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
Thanks for listening!
It was some time ago that I heard this one again Smile

I agree the master compression could be a bit less (although it was max 2dB), so I made a new mix (2b).

I compressed the backings a bit more, so it was more even en put it up a bit.

Cheers!

[/quote]

The first thing to jump out at me here was the odd "boxy" feeling to the vocals. Almost immediately, however, I realized how well the sound fit. It sounded like he was in a car driving so my mind immediately started picturing an opening for the music video, the lead singer sitting behind the wheel of a pickup truck...

Overall balance was pretty much spot on with the exception of the background vocals. As seems to be common with mixes of this song, they were too low; try bringing them up 2-3 dB.

I did have one significant complaint. It sounds to me like a fair amount of compression was used in the mastering stage. My opinion? Dump that compression entirely; it doesn't suit this type of music IMHO. I suspect it'll sound a LOT better without it. Wink

If it wasn't for the compression, I suspect this mix would've given Voelund's phenomenal mix a run for its money. Big Grin
[/quote]

(05-01-2014, 10:56 AM)ERJEE Wrote: Thanks for listening!
It was some time ago that I heard this one again Smile

I agree the master compression could be a bit less (although it was max 2dB), so I made a new mix (2b).

I compressed the backings a bit more, so it was more even en put it up a bit.

Cheers!

[/quote]

[/quote]

Background vocal was a little better here, though I think it would work even better if you simply brought up the level of it rather than added more compression; compression, when overused, tends to take the expressiveness out of a vocal.

Everything still sounds a little loud to my ears, but given the current environment in music production today that probably would be a good thing. It still sounds pretty good despite that, which is impressive (particularly given my innate disdain for mastering compression Wink).

Still, as per your comments of MY mix of this song, even if you didn't change anything else this is still an excellent mix the way it is. Enjoyed it a lot. Smile
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
I 'de-loud' the tracks a bit, check mix 2c. Smile

Think it suits better indeed.

Cheers!

[/quote]

Background vocal was a little better here, though I think it would work even better if you simply brought up the level of it rather than added more compression; compression, when overused, tends to take the expressiveness out of a vocal.

Everything still sounds a little loud to my ears, but given the current environment in music production today that probably would be a good thing. It still sounds pretty good despite that, which is impressive (particularly given my innate disdain for mastering compression Wink).

Still, as per your comments of MY mix of this song, even if you didn't change anything else this is still an excellent mix the way it is. Enjoyed it a lot. Smile
[/quote]