Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slow Down - HB Mix
Another telefunken spill-fest....but I love the classic R&B vibe.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

New version, mix_02 uploaded

.mp3    Slow Down_HB Mix_01.mp3 --  (Download: 7.25 MB)

Hi!

Nice mix! However I think the vocal is somewhat detached from the rest. Also watch out for your tones, it tends to get '(hi)-middy'.

Cheers!

(01-12-2014, 12:24 PM)HbGuitar Wrote: Another telefunken spill-fest....but I love the classic R&B vibe. Hard for this mix to sound anything other than live....so more an exercise in creating an ensemble feel

I agree with ERJEE about the hi-mids on the vocals. They are very sibilant as well, ouch some of these esses hurt! Big Grin
I wasn't convinced about the tone of the kick during the intro, it works fine when the band enter but before that it's a bit too much to my ear. But overall you managed a good live sound.
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
@ERJEE @ptalbot Hi Guys, thanks for your feedback.

Yeah, the vocal is a wild beast - already got de-plossive, de-esser and dynamic EQ on the ear piercing 2500-3500hz band.....maybe i can tweak settings but I'm already pulling 6-9 db out from those areas....only so much one can do ......should have heard it before all that....nosebleed stuffBig Grin
In such case, what I find the most effective is to manually de-ess the audio clip. Those esses are usually pretty easy to find and knock down. Of course it takes a little bit of time, but it's probably worth it in this case.
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Just listened again......rubbish mix..Blush.(maybe not rubbish but balance is off)..will delete as soon as I remix.....don't bother leaving any more comments...thanks to those that didBig Grin
New version, mix_02. Big re-balance.

Decided to leave mix-01 up (as a warning to others!) but its sooooo bright and lacking low end its shocking Blush...and to think it sounded good Confused??!! In my defense it was late at night so monitors were down a bit....but still it was rubbish

.mp3    Slow Down_HB Mix_02.mp3 --  (Download: 7.25 MB)

Hi HB
Listening to version 2 ,much better than version 1 ,listening on headphones ,maybe the vocals could be a touch fuller in the bottom end Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(03-12-2014, 12:35 PM)thedon Wrote: Hi HB
Listening to version 2 ,much better than version 1 ,listening on headphones ,maybe the vocals could be a touch fuller in the bottom end Big Grin !

Hey Don, Thanks for listening..Big Grin..I know what you mean about the vocals...I'm not sure if its EQ on the vox or whether the mix itself needs a smidge more bass to support the vocals
(Version 2)
Overall sound sounds great to me.

Snare tail feels quite long to me. I'm not sure if it fits the genre. It kind of changes the groove.

Agree with Don, vox could be a little fuller. And maybe also slightly softer. You have a lot of room for the vox in your mix, so it maybe it doesn't have to be so edgy to cut through. I remember that her voice has some raw qualities, which were very problematic to me while I was mixing my version.