Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Etc.
Pretty raw track, liked the amount of bleed that was present.

Little bit different than some of the other mixes, but more of the same, too. Rawk!

.mp3    Etc V1.mp3 --  (Download: 4.36 MB)

Nice mix.

I like the bass sound you got.

Please comment on others mixes, this site is all about feedback.
Thanks for the kind words.

Yeah, that bass took a while to dial in. I eventually bussed it PFL with the kick and snare, compressed the crap out of it along with a touch of saturation, and blended it with the original kick, snare and bass guitar. Turns out it sounded okay!
True to the lo-fi ethic, this, which is great, and the vocal and bass are coming through nice and clear. The guitars feel a bit soft, though, so I'd probably give them a bit more 1kHz, and bring down the vocal level a little to make them appear a bit bigger. The kick and snare both feel a little shy to me as well. You could easily give those another couple of decibels, I think, especially if you're pushing the whole mix into some buss compression. The kick is also disappearing on the small speakers, so I'm might try giving that a bit of parallel distortion or something to bring it through more clearly in the midrange.

A bit of short slapback reverb might help the vocal to blend a little better with the general sound too, but without drawing too far back -- I do like the detail that's coming through from it.

Overall the tonality does feel a bit muddy on the guitars+bass block. I'd pull a bit of 200-300Hz out somewhere -- difficult to know quite how much and on which tracks, but this is always a real battleground in any rock mix, so expect it to take a fair bit of tweaking.
i like this sound!!
Recording engineer David Williams said, “It’s quite ironic: We got rid of our
analog equipment, replaced it with digital, then spent the next couple
of decades trying to get the digital to sound like the analog we
got rid of.”