Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Location, Location
The overhead tracks seem to be out of phase with each other. Here are the main things I did:

Tuned the lead and backing vocals with Melodyne. Automated volume and added light compression plus de-essing to the lead vocal. Added mono-to-stereo delays to the backing vocals.
Reversed phase on the right overhead channel.
Added “Bittersweet” to the kick and snare tracks.
Created a MIDI floor tom track.
Dropped Tamborine1. Copied the second chorus of Tambourine2 to the first chorus. Aligned Tamborine2 with the snare in several places.
Repaired the guitar 1 flub at 1:04.
Added delays for both guitars on the opposite side during the choruses.
Dropped the bass amp track and ran the bass DI through Gtr Solo 3.
Added EQ, short & long reverbs and light compression.

.mp3    Location.mp3 --  (Download: 4.54 MB)

Interesting to revisit this project after a while of not having heard it. You've given it a much smoother vibe, which suits the song, but I wonder whether you've dulled the overall tonality a bit much -- it's sounding rather muffled. This is partly just a question of EQ I imagine, but it's also because of the reverb(s) you're using, I think, all of which probably need a good deal of low cut to prevent too much low-mid build-up. (There's already enough of that on the original tracks, I seem to recall!) I'd also be tempted to try to make more of compression in terms of delivering sustain in this texture, rather than putting this much emphasis on reverb. I think you'll get a more engaging and upfront sound that way.
(19-02-2013, 10:12 PM)Mike Senior Wrote: This is partly just a question of EQ I imagine, but it's also because of the reverb(s) you're using, I think, all of which probably need a good deal of low cut to prevent too much low-mid build-up. (There's already enough of that on the original tracks, I seem to recall!)
Now that you point it out, yes, I can hear the low build-up in the reverb. I need to start EQ'ing the reverb return. EQ continues to be my biggest problem area.