Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Merrygold - Motherload (Alex Kurth mix)
Hi,

This is a quick mix I put together between mixing another project.

I know the plate reverb on the vocals is very strong and maybe not suited to the style but that was deliberate. I took my inspiration from the True Detective theme song (The Handsome Family - Far From Any Road).

Let me know what you think!

.mp3    merrygold.mp3 --  (Download: 8.89 MB)

I made a couple of small tweaks, volume automation and bringing up the acoustic rhythm guitar.

.mp3    merrygold.mp3 --  (Download: 8.89 MB)

hmm, turning up the acoustic rhythm guitar has also brought up a clicking sound... something clicking against the body of the guitar, maybe a bracelet or ring?
Hi Alex. Not a big fan of the big vocal reverb, but like the vocal tone ... but maybe a tad too loud.
The background vocals need a little work and could come up a bit?
Yes, that clicking in the guitar track is a pain to hide. I'd center the guitar break, and maybe soften the tone a bit.
Gee its a great song, and real nice job on the mix.
I finished my mix last night and will post when I get to my Mac this afternoon.
I agree with Third that your vocals are a tad too wet for my taste. That bracelet the singer was wearing is a bitch, amiright?
I'd definitely find a reference track and let that help you make balance decisions. As much as I love an upfront and aggressive mix that is in your face, the levels and amount of compression or limting you used on this mix are staggering.

It could use some more cohesive buss compression and a lot more control on that bass (in the subs).

The beauty of this song is all the room content they captured, and it is easily and very well used to create a spatial image (a background, if I may) and let the leads parts stand in front of that and pop more.
(18-11-2014, 12:59 PM)alex.kurth Wrote: I made a couple of small tweaks, volume automation and bringing up the acoustic rhythm guitar.

Hi Alex,
I could see some of this vocal ambiance if the intention were to put the whole group in a large venue, but only the main vocal is in that space. That's a good thing to consider to at least some extent - do they sound like they are in the same room (doesn't mean that all FX have to sound the same on all tracks, though). Another thought is that the guitar solo in the middle is quite dry - a contradictory stage to the main vocal. It's worth making it believable. One trick you can try is to close your eyes and picture what you hear - what does it "look" like?
The clicking can be pulled out without too much trouble if you zero in on where it is.
Your instrumental placement is appropriate.
Hope this is helpful,
Walt