Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.8 Average
It Was my fault for waiting Bigjoe mix
Hi everyone,
This is my first post here! Hope for some critique on my mix Smile
For this one i'm gone for "almost natural" sounding drums. No samples on kick and snare (only the toms were replaced due to clicky sound and poor editing).
Deleted the ambience mics, and recreated some "fake room" with convolution.
I reamped all guitars with podfarm (the fastest way...) and created a little intro effect with BG vocals and some reversed OH.
Maybe some more editing needed and some more automation...
This was done just in a couple of free hours.

Sorry for my bad english!
Cheers from Italy

Quote:EDIT: A New version of this mix can be found at the post n°5 of this page, i keep the old mix up just because they sound different, the first one is more "natural and crunchy" and the second is just an "hyped/polished" version.
Critiques are welcome
Joe

.mp3    Atlantis Bound - It Wasn\'t My fault.mp3 --  (Download: 5.91 MB)

Hi Joe,

Nice mix! Overall good balances, though I think the rhythm guitar is too dominant (guess a high pass will help), Sometimes the vocals are pushed back too much.
In general, regarding the tone I would back off the 1-2k range a bit.

Overall, I think you nailed it pretty well!

cheers!

(14-11-2014, 11:32 PM)Bigjoe Wrote: Hi everyone,
For this one i'm gone for "almost natural" sounding drums. No samples on kick and snare (only the toms were replaced due to clicky sound and poor editing).
I reamped all guitars with podfarm (the fastest way...) and created a little intro effect with BG vocals and some reversed OH.

Cheers from Italy

Thank you for you reply!
Guitars are already hi-passed. Maybe too much energy in the foundamental zone, which is busy as you said.
Totally agree with your thougts.
Hey man, Im the drummer for the band Atlantis Bound, wanted to let you know that this mix is great, keep it up!

(14-11-2014, 11:32 PM)Bigjoe Wrote: Hi everyone,

Cheers from Italy

Thank you!
Btw the song is great, and was a pleasure to work with.
Joe
UPDATED MIX.
Today had one free hour and decided to clean some mud out of this mix.
Just added a bit more punch to kick and snare by EQ, a more controlled drum ambience, some editing here and there, and a more clean and punchy limiting on master fader by pushing down tape saturation. and adjusting the fluxivity to achieve a more clear sound.

Cheers
Joe

.mp3    Atlantis Bound - It Wasn\'t My faultV2.mp3 --  (Download: 5.81 MB)

Much Better!

I still think the guitars in de verse are bit too dominant/muddy.

Stil, One of the best mixes, if you ask me Smile

Cheers!

(22-11-2014, 03:18 PM)Bigjoe Wrote: UPDATED MIX.
Today had one free hour and decided to clean some mud out of this mix.
Just added a bit more punch to kick and snare by EQ, a more controlled drum ambience, some editing here and there, and a more clean and punchy limiting on master fader by pushing down tape saturation. and adjusting the fluxivity to achieve a more clear sound.

Cheers
Joe

Hi Big Joe! the second upload sound awsome. Aggresive and clean. Do you mind sharing your Reverb set up for the drums and guitars?

Thanks for sharing.

Dom
Hi, thanks for your feedbacks guys!
Snare and kick are still "natural"... No samples at all.
For drum reverb i put an Eventide Ultraverb mixed really low on snare, with some EQ and little short delay before the actual reverb, just to made the snare tail a bit longer, justvsome pretty standard "non linear" type reverb.
For the overall drums i used McDSP Revolver with my own impulses taken from my HW reverbs (think i used a Roland SRV330 heavily saturated and mangled room impulse)...then i compressed with UAD 1176 and EQed with VMR SSL style EQ.
On guitars i used Eventide Ultraverb for some dirty delays and AIR Reverb with a custom made preset (mostly early reflection) to add a bit of depth and space.

cheers from Italy!
Joe
Ok nice! I love the sound Smile Thx for answering and keep it up