Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Doppler Shift - Atrophy Juanra Ortiz's Mix
Here is my mix. Hope you like it. Feel free to comment.

.mp3    The Doppler Shift - Atrophy Final Master.mp3 --  (Download: 12.28 MB)

Juanra Ortiz
http://www.lacuevastudio.com
[email protected]
Production | Tracking | Mixing | Mastering
Check out my other mixes here.
I love this track, as a bit of fan of Muse-style apocalyptic pomp, and that build-up from 3:20 to 4:21 is epic! Smile

The vocal level feels much too low in the verse to me. Yes, it does mean the track as a whole feels big, but I think the listener needs to identify more with the vocal in a track like this. I'd also probably give both the verse and chorus vocals a touch more 450Hz, because they're feeling maybe a touch too 'slim', and there's a danger there that you're then expecting the vocal to compete too much in the upper reaches of the spectrum where there's masses of competition with the guitars and cymbals. Certainly I do find that I'm wanting to pull down the 3-5kHz region once you start hitting the biggest bits of the arrangement.

I like your drum sound a lot, and the bass is also nice -- could it have a touch more 1kHz string character, though, given its strong melodic function? I'd maybe also take a bit of the 300-700Hz mids from the bass and give them back to the guitars, so you get just a fraction more width out of the warmth frequencies -- I think that'd help make your climaxes even more powerful.

Speaking of climaxes, your long-term dynamics are handled very confidently and convincingly (good stuff there) and the effects contrasts are fantastic -- love the vocal entry at 4:42 in particular. I wish more people used those kind of arrangement dynamics, because they're so effective.

(PS. Also, thanks for your continuing detailed feedback and contributions to this resource -- I imagine that future students will find it invaluable!)
Thank you Mike. The fact you spend your time listen my mixes and give me feedbacks are a great honor. I really appreciate it.
I will do some corrections based on your comments and upload a second version of this mix as soon as I have the time: more mids @ 450 Hz for vocals, wide global eq cut @ 3k-5 k(maybe I could fix this in the master stage when I usually shape the tone of the whole song), a little boost @ 300-700Hz and boost @ 1k for bass.

Glad you like my dynamics and fxs build ups. I really felt this song need that intimate vocal part after that build up moment. Your book is really helping me to gain perspective. Great book. I also enjoying your sound on sound tips and Reaper tricks. I love Reaper, man. What an amazing tool.

I will continuing working here with no doubt. I'm planing to mix one song each 2-3 weeks here. Thank you for giving us this great resource and feedback webpage.
Juanra Ortiz
http://www.lacuevastudio.com
[email protected]
Production | Tracking | Mixing | Mastering
Check out my other mixes here.