Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Talbot: 'Blue' - Olli H
Here’s my version of this nice song. I didn’t use too much plugins or tricks with this one. It was mostly a balancing job.

.mp3    141112-ptalbot-blue-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 10.2 MB)

beautiful intimate club sound, Olli!

Right now I'm working on this track and there's a hissing noise throughout the song but it's more noticeable at the end that is bothering me (probably caused by the cymbals or hihats, but I'm not sure) from 3:59 to 4:08. I checked on the tracks and it's caused by DrumsRoom2. So check it out if you can Smile
mixing since April 2013
Hey Olli! Pretty nice for "mostly a balancing job"! Smile
It's a great balance at that! I like it.

@juanjose1967: maybe what you are hearing is the brushes swirls on the snare, which happens during the chorus only?
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Thanks for feedback!
@juanjose1967: I agree with Patrick. I'm quite sure the hiss you're hearing is "musical jazz noise" created by soft touch of brushes on snare and cymbals. (No attack, only tail)
probably, I don't know... I admit that I haven't heard too much jazz in my life and that's why I was not too familiar with that sound. But anyway, I loved the mix Smile
mixing since April 2013
(12-11-2014, 04:28 PM)Olli H Wrote: Here’s my version of this nice song. I didn’t use too much plugins or tricks with this one. It was mostly a balancing job.

Nice mix. I didn't use the room tracks, but you got them to work nicely. Good idea with the chorus vocal reverb. Did you send it pre-fader or just crank the returns? :^)

Well done!
Thanks for the feedback!

(14-11-2014, 02:22 AM)Mike_K Wrote: Good idea with the chorus vocal reverb. Did you send it pre-fader or just crank the returns? :^)

I'm glad you noticed that trick. I didn't use sends. I added a reverb directly to the track, and then I automated the dry/wet-balance. With that single automation dry goes down and wet goes up. And as I had some send effects in vocal (chorus+modulation+delay), the signal that was send to them changed drastically because of that inline reverb automation.
I like your version of this lovely song , especially the drums !
A good inspiration for version 2 Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

I like it. It's delicate, and up close. And i love your vocals. Tons of space, but melds at the same time. Your delay times are perfect. Well Done.

(I did see you had the same issue with the kick being a tad splatty, though :-P)
Thanks for listening everybody!

THe kick was difficult with this one.