Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non Lo Diro Col Labbro - AZ mix
So in the interests of not restricting myself to just a narrow range of genres (and because I like classical music anyay), I figured I'd give this one a try. I actually downloaded this a while ago but sat on it because I couldn't quite figure out what I was supposed to do with it. I mean, they sound pretty good on their own, as any ensemble worth its salt should. Gaining a bit more experience I came back to this one and gave it a shot.

The problems I saw here were the 1-2k prominence that needed to be tamped down slightly, adjusting the gain of various sections to correct minor untoward variances in level by the group, not being able to individually adjust the harpsichord and having to settle for EQ on the mics with the most prominent spill (vocal, esp) to help it sit better in the mix, and not being able to more carefully scuplt the soloist. When I would pull her fader back to where I thought it sounded better in the mix, she started sounding like she was off stage somewhere because of the spill.

Anyway, I'm not sure I got everything right here but here's my attempt at handling classical...

.mp3    non-lo-diro-col-labbro-mixdown.mp3 --  (Download: 4.83 MB)

.mp3    non-lo-diro-col-labbro-mixdown -v2.mp3 --  (Download: 4.83 MB)

Old West Audio
So I uploaded a new version which should be somewhat improved. Rummaging through my plugins, I found a new favorite tool: a multiband compressor. I was aware of these before but didn't realize I had one until a day or two ago. Last time I looked at it, I didn't pay enough attention, thought by the layout that it was just another EQ, and moved on.

This little gem let me go in and issolate more carefully the first violin, viola, and harpsichord and get them under control and still add some compression to the vocalist without all the side effects of full band compression. The neat thing about this specific plugin is that the makeup gain controls on all five bands can go negative so it let me do a little level adjustment too.

I took the chance to restructure the reverb a bit and add more to the vocalist. I think what I have blends much better now without the vocalist being either excessively prominent or sounding like she's 20 feet away from the rest of the group. The only other thing I think I would want to do is add maybe another 3-5 dB of gain on the master fader since it's still down a bit much for ear bud listening.
Old West Audio