Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
juliets rescue, heartbeats
THIS WAS THE LARGEST MIX I HAVE DONE SO FAR 46 TRACK IN TOTAL,USING PROTOOLS 8 M POWERED(MAX TRACK COUNT 48 AND ONLY 32 INTERNAL BUSS) SO I STRUGGLED SLIGHTLY BUT MANAGED,LOOKING TO UPGRADE TO PT 10 VERY SOON,ANYWAY HERE IS MY FIRST MIX OF A DANCE TRACK,I REALLY ENJOYED MIXING IT,GIVE YOUR VIEWS AS NORMAL GOOD OR BAD.THANKS CUDJOE

.mp3    juliets rescue heartbeats.mp3 --  (Download: 9.97 MB)

Any comments please, it's the only way to improve.
Hi.
Nice mix, I like the way You've mixed the voice and the clean guitars, they sound really nice.
What's hitting me is the kick, it's loudness. Try referencing other songs in context of the loudness of the kick in them.
Try to find a song with to loud kick and while mixing reference it and keep the level of the kick less than the reference.
Also the symbols are really loud too, they eat the guitars at 3:30.
It may be because I'm pretty sure You've overdid the limiting in the mastering phase. At 3:40 I can hear the distortion on the kick low-end, so it's not good Sad
At last the snare sounds boxy. It's buried in the mix and misses a lot of hi-mid range.
Try working more on the balance to, I'm missing some good pan separation between the tracks.
Maybe the problem was to many track. 46 sounds not like a lot but it's a lot Big Grin

Love for music in the world devoid of feelings.
https://www.youtube.com/user/exotrio
There's stuff I like and stuff I don't. Kick is uneven throughout the mix and seems to be overdriven. Vocals could use more clarity, sound too distant. Think the backing vocal tracks could use more compression. The bassier synths could be toned down a bit. Mix does seem limited a bit too much. I like some of the vocal fx. Choruses seem like they were louder but also hitting a limiter too much. Levels are too hot and distorting toward the end of the song. Things seem to fall apart around 3:40. The best thing about this mix is the energy. I think you did a lot better with the simpler parts of the song than the more complex stuff where there's lots of percussion going on. You might want to check out one of the two drumleveler plugs that just got released.

I'm listening on JBL LSR305 monitors in an untreated room direct from the back of the computer, so one has to take that into account. Most professional cds I listen to sound marvelous on here though. I'm not hearing frequencies really out of whack.

Have you done much automation? I think there's some frequencies clashing too. Was the master fader at 0? What kinda plugins did you use?
(06-01-2015, 10:34 PM)mixingafterhours Wrote: Hi.
Nice mix, I like the way You've mixed the voice and the clean guitars, they sound really nice.
What's hitting me is the kick, it's loudness. Try referencing other songs in context of the loudness of the kick in them.
Try to find a song with to loud kick and while mixing reference it and keep the level of the kick less than the reference.
Also the symbols are really loud too, they eat the guitars at 3:30.
It may be because I'm pretty sure You've overdid the limiting in the mastering phase. At 3:40 I can hear the distortion on the kick low-end, so it's not good Sad
At last the snare sounds boxy. It's buried in the mix and misses a lot of hi-mid range.
Try working more on the balance to, I'm missing some good pan separation between the tracks.
Maybe the problem was to many track. 46 sounds not like a lot but it's a lot Big Grin
Hi mixingafterhours once again I agree, as stated above I was using protools 8 mpowered which only had 32 internal busses and only 48 tracks with no plugin compensation which was very hard,now iam in protools 10, I will revisit this track soon,thanks for your review. Cudjoe
(19-03-2015, 03:13 PM)ViciousBliss Wrote: There's stuff I like and stuff I don't. Kick is uneven throughout the mix and seems to be overdriven. Vocals could use more clarity, sound too distant. Think the backing vocal tracks could use more compression. The bassier synths could be toned down a bit. Mix does seem limited a bit too much. I like some of the vocal fx. Choruses seem like they were louder but also hitting a limiter too much. Levels are too hot and distorting toward the end of the song. Things seem to fall apart around 3:40. The best thing about this mix is the energy. I think you did a lot better with the simpler parts of the song than the more complex stuff where there's lots of percussion going on. You might want to check out one of the two drumleveler plugs that just got released.

I'm listening on JBL LSR305 monitors in an untreated room direct from the back of the computer, so one has to take that into account. Most professional cds I listen to sound marvelous on here though. I'm not hearing frequencies really out of whack.

Have you done much automation? I think there's some frequencies clashing too. Was the master fader at 0? What kinda plugins did you use?
Hi viciousbliss thanks for your review,I used waves, uad and stock plugins, as you might of guess protools 8 mpowered has no plugin compensation and uad plugins has a lot of latency, iam now in protools 10 which has latency compensation, much better, I also smashed the hell out of it in mastering, bad mistake anyway I will revisit this track soon it will be much better. Thanks again.
Good job!
I think the vocals are a little bit overcompressed (that´s cool sometimes, but in this time i feel it´s too much)
It would be a good idea to do some automation to make the song more interesting.
Other thing i notice is the timber balance between real drums and electronic beat has too much contrast.
The overall mixbuss compression is ok but sometimes tends to be so pumping... may be setting the release faster would be a good idea.
(22-08-2016, 04:41 AM)Jason Robayo Wrote: Good job!
I think the vocals are a little bit overcompressed (that´s cool sometimes, but in this time i feel it´s too much)
It would be a good idea to do some automation to make the song more interesting.
Other thing i notice is the timber balance between real drums and electronic beat has too much contrast.
The overall mixbuss compression is ok but sometimes tends to be so pumping... may be setting the release faster would be a good idea.
Thanks JR I agree with all the comments so far and looking forward to tackling this track in the near future, cheers.
This mix feels great. Great job with that. I love what you have done with it. The only thing that i dislike is the attack on the instruments main the important ones such as the snare and vox. They lack the punch out of the speakers i like to hear on them. It makes the in front sounds mix with the behind sounds too much.
Really nice balance, and while it's a question of taste, I think the EDM style calls for a bit more sparkle and air. A broad cut of 0.5 dB at around 170 Hz and 0.5 dB boost at around 2.5 kHz started to make a difference to my ears, adding a bit of air and giving a bit of a cleaner sound.

The rock sections sound pretty squashed - the kick's definitely there but the snare is almost lost, the guitars are audible, but not driving things.

The vocal is starting to get lost in the "falling" section, but comes back for the bridge. I really like the nice wide sound you've got going in this part.

The snare sound odd in a lot of places (e.g. the 2nd verse), almost like the kick. I've heard this in other mixes, and since the original track is most definitely an electronic snare, I'm not sure how people are getting this sound. Did you replace it?
Mixing and mastering at jtbStudio.com
My music at JazzTeddyBears.com