Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Chris MTSU mix
Stepped out of my comfort zone and tried something totally new! Mixed in PT

.mp3    Tyler_Lab 3 Mix_02.R.mp3 --  (Download: 2.17 MB)

The guitars need to come way up, they're in the background when they're the focus of the music. The snare is also very dominant and sounds strange, what did you treat it with? It sounds like there's some weird volume things (automation?) going on in some places. Can you describe how you mixed this?
Check out my band! MyopicDC.com
Hey man thanks so much for the feedback!

To premise this mix let first start by saying I'm coming along with Pro Tools, it's certainly not my forte but I've been working towards transitioning the results I'm use to getting in Live to PT. I am not as familiar with a lot of the native devices PT has to offer so sometimes my results can be a bit drastic.

I agree the guitars can definitely come up in the mix! I did this entirely on headphones which I know had a major influence on the results of the mix. I have never mixed metal before so I probably focused to much on trying to emphasize the distortion of the guitars that I essentially ended up squashing the sound.

The snare sounds different, I focused on bringing the bottom snare out more for that ting sound. It sounds a bit like the bell of a cymbal at parts. I think also that fluctuation might be my setup for compressing the drums. I sent the output of the drums to the mains, but likewise a send to an aux with compression for quick transients, then being fed into another aux to pull for longer releases. It was an attempt at parallel, but again, I'm still familiarizing myself with converting my methods in Live to Pro Tools.

Thanks so much for the feedback Nick! Hope this gives you a better idea of the process.