Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grunge-y Mix
Here is my mix attempt...

After undergoing serious anger management treatment it came out sounding rather grungey Wink

As usual, any comments are welcome and most appreciated!

.mp3    DadsGlad(r)_mp3.mp3 --  (Download: 5.27 MB)

Interesting! Quite different. The vocals sound really very good.

I missed the bass in the verses, it was hardly there for me. Only other thing was drums in the heavy section, the snare was squashed a little too much I thought.

Back to positives, the guitar 'grunge' seems to work well, and overall the transitions seem good. Great effort in producing an original version of this.

Thanks for your reply and comments - much appreciated!
I deliberately muted the bass in the verses as I found the doubled guitar carries the mood of the verses more effectively. I was after a sparse, solitary and reflective mood where the reminiscing will culminate in the contrasting anger of the chorus. The heavy growling bass in the chorus underpins the darkness of the theme and the distorted grunge guitar parts accentuate the bitterness and anger. The snare marks the transition point and is intended to make the ear 'prick-up'... I tried to achieve this contrast by developing the horizontal as well as the vertical dimension of the sonics between the verses and chorus and I found that the bass element was best suited to bring this out together with the distorted guitars.
Thanks once again for your feedback.
Cheers,
Clinton
Bumper... Blush
Any more comments re greatly appreciated!
Alright, here comes another comment Wink

This is an interesting mix, although I think it could be taken further. I listened to your mix before I checked the reference mix on the download page. The idea is great.

The acoustic guitar and vocals sound great (apart from that "echo", which seems a bit out of time to me). The distorted guitars on the other hand don't reach the same quality. They sound to small and to distant. This is the part I would put a bit more effort into to bring your great idea into sonic reality.
(30-01-2013, 11:16 AM)Artbass Wrote: Alright, here comes another comment Wink

This is an interesting mix, although I think it could be taken further. I listened to your mix before I checked the reference mix on the download page. The idea is great.

The acoustic guitar and vocals sound great (apart from that "echo", which seems a bit out of time to me). The distorted guitars on the other hand don't reach the same quality. They sound to small and to distant. This is the part I would put a bit more effort into to bring your great idea into sonic reality.

Thanks for your comment - much appreciated!
I get your point with the 'size and place' of the distorted guitars, as it was a dilemma I faced when trying to carve out their sonic space. Admittedly, it could seem that they need slightly more 4-5kHz bite, but the idea behind the 'grunge' distortion was to serve as a 'distortion carpet/cushion' rather than a full-on wall of distortion like a Foo-Fighters record. I was after some stark contrast that could convey the muted and repressed anger of the chorus lines...
Having said that, I might just experiment with the 'presence' and 'tone' of the amp sims and see where it goes.
Thanks once again!
Cheers!
Another comment for the road.

I'm writing it without knowing about the "original" mix, so i won't speak about the creative aspect it seems you gave to this nice song.
I totally agree with Artbass about the guitars. What make this point so important to me is that in terms of pression, the chorus seems quieter to me than the verses ! Which feels really weird as loud distorded grunge guitars should do the opposite effect.
The delay is not in time around 2'48".
Kick could be much more punchy and louder, and snare is a little soo squeezed and feels thin.

I think you can improve many things on the mix, and i'll now have a look at the original one !

Good job !
Hi Xabi,
Thanks for your honest comments and reply.
In all honesty, I posted this mix to get initial reactions to my grunge idea. I need to revisit the mix and work on the 'size and sound' of the chorus and get some more punch in the drums.
I'll post a version 2 as soon as I have time to rework it Wink
Thanks again and cheers,
Clinton