Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Merrygold - Motherload
Hi All!

Here's my take on this very nice song.

First of all, in my view, the decca tree mics sounded awful. I didn't get anything usefull out of them.

If any of you liked how they sounded, please tell me how you blended them in, because I didn't manage to find a place for them.

With that in mind, I had to make my own room and this is how it turned out.

Please take listen and make a comment.

Thanks!

.mp3    MERRYGOLD - TRI v1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.88 MB)

I like it. Nice warm retro sound. Suits fine this song.

Is it slighgly boxy? Otherwise I have nothing to complain.
Hey Olli and thanks for your comment!

I didn't think it sounded boxy but I can see what you mean, so put in a couple of hours and took some of the boxiness out and gave it a spitshine.

Please tell me if it made a difference for the better!

Thanks!

.mp3    MERRYGOLD - TRI v2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.88 MB)

Both are good, but I can't say which one is better. I kind of like the spaciousness of first mix, but on the other hand vox is more focused in the second.
How did you make the background vocal work? I worked my ass off, and I just could not make it passable. The autotune is still obvious, but that's nothing you did, I just could not do anything to give it a suitable tone, so I just tucked it WAY the f*** behind the lead vocalist. I do like the vocal treatment on the second mix. Much more open and revealed. I didn't hate the first, but I agree with Ollie that it was a touch boxy.

Nice job.
Thanks Olli and loweche6 for listening and for constructive comments!

Regarding the BV, I compressed it alot and tried to reduce the lomid popping out and added alot of himid&highs to make it blend in with the lead vox without taking to much space.

I've been listening to both mixes, after not been hearing them for a while, and I agree with the lack of spaciousness in the second mix and I like the reduced boxiness , so maybe I'll add some reverb to second mix and try to mix the best of both!

Cheers!

Listening on HD560 headphones - only to the second mix.
Can still hear that clicking sound at the start ... I think it's in the acoustic guitar track.
Bass is nice and smooth.
Really like the vocals. They sit nice with subtle reverb ... and I like those BGV.
Is the guitar lead break a bit right heavy, or is that my aged ears tricking me! But I like the way the acoustic guitar and banjo sit in the stereo width.
I'd like a tad more volume in the accordion. Now I'm being picky.
I'd call it done. Sit back and enjoy it. Great song.

Great job on the mix.