Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We Fell From The Sky - Not You (Malte Mix)
Hi all!

My first mix up on this forum. Like to hear what you all think! :-)

Cheers!

Malte Cool

.mp3    Not You.mp3 --  (Download: 7.7 MB)

Welcome Malte!

This is not a bad attempt for a first mix. Smile
There's a few great things, for example, I like the treatment of the whispering vox during the bridge.

That being said, I find that your mix has quite a lot of high-end/harshness, which is primarily coming from the guitars...

Are you a guitarist by any chance? Wink
Because the guitars are so high in your mix that they are masking everything else, including the vocals!
They are rather harsh as well, which makes it a rather difficult mix to listen to, honestly, my ears are now bleeding from listening on headphones.

I would first lower the guitars level, then apply a lpf (or a high shelf cut at least) to tame that harshness.
There's a lot of fizz in there. Something I've done before on harsh guitars is to use a de-esser to tame that fizz down. A multiband compressor could be used as well. But perhaps start by cutting this with EQ.

The low-end is probably going to benefit from that as well, and it you should help you achieve a better balance IMHO.
The bass is lacking right now and perhaps it will come out better from that move, if not, I would try to compress it and EQ it so that it cuts through the wall of guitars a bit better.

The cymbals are a bit weird as well, they sound squashed and again quite harsh (a high shelf wouldn't be lost on that), and panned so widely that I found that a bit surreal.
I wonder if you could not narrow the width of the overheads a bit?

Keep it up!

"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here