Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Run Run Run - Olli H
I made this a week ago to that crowdaudio-competition.

I tried to make a relaxed modern reaggae sound, whatever it means.

.mp3    141027-run-run-run-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 7.9 MB)

I've been immediately impressed by this mix, i really like everything but the two things that hit me most are the amazing space and the hugeness of vocals. You got a new fan!
nice mix Olli. there's only one thing you forgot to do....the delays on the snare shots that are so much a signature of the genre. over the years, i've kinda got so used to it that not hearing it's presence is making a distraction.

you have a lot of treble on the percussion [hi-hat] than feels necessary, so it's kinda sticking out of this sparse mix rather than blending but the good news from my perspective is that my ears aren't on fire Big Grin By modern, did you mean the compression on the master buss? it sounds hot. this is having some impact on the vocal, you've positioned it up-front of the mix and the compression is forcing it even closer; i'd rather not smell his breath but having it this close really shows up the great job you did with the EQ; it's very well presented Big Grin

i'm using the cans, so can't reliably judge if you put a dose of sub into the kick. i'm guessing you did..... Wink

i like the ambiance you've applied and the sound stage you developed, nice. personally, i think i'd bring the piano up a touch more as it feels a bit lost so far back....but it's still working where it is.
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
wow, Olli! this mix is impressive! I think it's one of the best ones I ever heard from you. You have many chances to get high scores on that competition Smile
mixing since April 2013
Thanks for listening everybody. I’m glad you liked it. It was my second version of this song. The first one was totally horrible.

(04-11-2014, 04:09 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: there's only one thing you forgot to do....the delays on the snare shots that are so much a signature of the genre. over the years, i've kinda got so used to it that not hearing it's presence is making a distraction.

I felt there was too much delays going on so I didn’t want to bring another delay in. Tape delays are certainly used quite heavily in reaggae. But as they are very creative, I’m sure there’s lot of examples of big reaggae hits where they don’t add delay to snare.

(04-11-2014, 04:09 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: you have a lot of treble on the percussion [hi-hat] than feels necessary, so it's kinda sticking out of this sparse mix rather than blending but the good news from my perspective is that my ears aren't on fire Big Grin By modern, did you mean the compression on the master buss?
I haven’t defined to myself what I mean with modern, but maybe modern to me is something that has more low-end than vinyls can handle and enough hi-end to cause pain to sensitive ears. Smile

(04-11-2014, 04:09 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: it sounds hot. this is having some impact on the vocal, you've positioned it up-front of the mix and the compression is forcing it even closer; i'd rather not smell his breath but having it this close really shows up the great job you did with the EQ; it's very well presented Big Grin
I’m just practising different techiniques to make things loud. (Although I couldn’t reach the level I was after.) My master buss didn’t have much of compression. Probably only a limiter with max -3db reduction. So all those details you find annoying, they are not the mistakes caused by mastering. I would say that they are bad artistic decisions made by a mixer.

(04-11-2014, 04:09 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: i'm using the cans, so can't reliably judge if you put a dose of sub into the kick. i'm guessing you did..... Wink
Of course, that’s where another half of the modern sound is. I think good headphones give better guidline to low-end decisions than a cheap room. As my room/monitor combination doesn’t go reliably under 60 hz, I relay only on headphones when it comes to low-end.

(05-11-2014, 04:54 PM)Olli H Wrote: Thanks for listening everybody. I’m glad you liked it. It was my second version of this song. The first one was totally horrible.

full credit to you for having a second attempt. it can be tempting when faced with a disaster to pack up and look at another project. i've had my moments, especially with audio files of dubious quality!

something i forgot to mention earlier, was the noise floor in your mix. might be an idea to re-assess your gain stage and find the source of the problem to prevent recurrence Wink

Quote:
(04-11-2014, 04:09 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: there's only one thing you forgot to do....the delays on the snare shots that are so much a signature of the genre. over the years, i've kinda got so used to it that not hearing it's presence is making a distraction.

I felt there was too much delays going on so I didn’t want to bring another delay in. Tape delays are certainly used quite heavily in reaggae. But as they are very creative, I’m sure there’s lot of examples of big reaggae hits where they don’t add delay to snare.

Reggae has certainly made some evolutionary changes since the Marley era, that's for sure. however, the project is asking for the delays in my opinion; the snare shots make no "musical sense" where they are in the arrangement otherwise. without the delays, there feels like a ghostly emptiness which rests uneasy in my soul.....like i'm getting the flash of lightening.....but then i don't hear the thunder afterwards? it's like eating fish and chips without the salt and vinegar....kind of thing. the presence of the snare shots gives me the expectation. because my expectation isn't met, it forms a distraction in the sense of an unfulfilled need. but that's me, other's journeys will vary....

Quote:I haven’t defined to myself what I mean with modern, but maybe modern to me is something that has more low-end than vinyls can handle and enough hi-end to cause pain to sensitive ears. Smile

that tickled my sense of humor Olli Big Grin

Quote:
(04-11-2014, 04:09 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: i'm using the cans, so can't reliably judge if you put a dose of sub into the kick. i'm guessing you did..... Wink

Of course, that’s where another half of the modern sound is. I think good headphones give better guidline to low-end decisions than a cheap room. As my room/monitor combination doesn’t go reliably under 60 hz, I relay only on headphones when it comes to low-end.

yup, headphones are great at taking out a room's frequency response from the mix equation, but a magnetically driven mechanical mechanism flexing a single cone strapped to an ear hole is never going to present any part of the spectrum with much reliability, irrespective of budget. you can have a "good headphone" in a quality sense, but if it's not fed the right voltage to suit impedance needs, it's performance can be degraded quite significantly. many integrated headphone amps suck but not many are aware of this.... it's complicated, eh?

catch you laters..
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
Low-end is difficult. I find myself getting more help from frequency analyzers than headphones for that matter actually.
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
hi olli h nice vocal phattness,nice.cudjoe.
hi .. i think the vocals is to loud and the bass have to much noise why u add so much Reverb on the master? u have also some volume-differences.

rest is a matter of taste Smile

Thanks for feedback.
Vocal level is always difficult issue. In this case I checked the vox level with some reaggae radio hits from Finland, and in radio they like to have vocal quite hot. But I agree it could be ok to turn it down a bit.
With bass noise, did you mean those fret noises. I didn't do anything with them. I liked them.