Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Talk To Me Baby
Thanks for the listen and any input Smile

.mp3    Talk To Me Baby.mp3 --  (Download: 7.44 MB)

.mp3    Talk To Me Baby Final.mp3 --  (Download: 7.44 MB)

To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Hi bmullen,

a few things register in my head about your mix which you might want to revisit if you have time....

The overall presentation is a little too dark, all the upper mid range and high end content of the tracks (bar the kick and bass) could do with lifting up individually.

The overheads seem to have disappeared, the hi-hat is only audible on the heavier hits, and not in the verses, which sounds like you only have the spill from the snare channels rather than the close mic/OH

The kick is a real headscratcher, i'm guessing they forgot to include the common 'kick in' mic with the download cause the kick out is one of the worst i've heard in a long time. I resorted to replacing it but made sure to recreate the originals dynamics with velocity editing. You've done a great job (far better than my attempts) to get it sounding like you have, but it's just not sitting right.
Not an easy mix - the drums especially, and I think you've wrangled a pretty decent sound out of them considering how poor the raw sound is.

I agree with mixingonamission about the overall tonality - you have a pretty savage roll-off from 5Khz through 10Khz and beyond so there seems to be a lack of air. Completely understandable as the amount of uncomfortable high-end spill makes populating that region of the spectrum fairly tricky.

Apart from that I think you have a nicely balanced mix....The keys finish pretty abruptly at 2.48

Thanks for the input. Your right, I didn't replace the kick which probably is warrented in this one. I will probably come back to this one and attempt to implement some of your suggestions.
Here it is with a Kick sample and more high end on the vocals, snare and accoustic. I also brought the overheads up a tad.

.mp3    Talk To Me Baby 2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.44 MB)

Sounds nice IMO compared to the first version I heard. My only suggestion is that the kick sample is a little "clicky" sounding for this tune. Needs a more open sound like something you'd get from a 24" or 26" with minimal muffling. Sorry to go drum nerd on you.