Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Blue - HB Mix
(03-11-2014, 10:23 PM)HbGuitar Wrote: Thanks for the insight....my son just turned 12 (going on 14) so I get what you mean....I listen to the lyrics very differently now....very innocent and nostalgic so the dreamy vibe really makes sense

She's only 13 but I already have the feeling it's not going to get any easier! Smile

(03-11-2014, 10:23 PM)HbGuitar Wrote: Artist feedback is great imo....people are free to take whatever the artist says on-board or not. Getting constructive feedback, be it positive or negative, is the lifeblood of this forum.....most guys thrive on it.

One of the best ways to become a better mixer is to give feedback - as it encourages analytical listening and judging by your feedback, you have developed that skill nicely

I totally agree, and I've been part of this forum here: http://forum.recordingreview.com/ where there is a section called 'Bash This Recording' (much nicer than it sounds really, people are very friendly and helpful, you will find every kind of people there, from newbie to professional, musicians and mixers) for almost two years now and have practised critical listening on most of the submissions there. I know that I've learned a lot there even though there's always more to learn!
It's a great resource and you will be welcome there as well!
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
(03-11-2014, 10:36 PM)ptalbot Wrote:
(03-11-2014, 10:23 PM)HbGuitar Wrote: One of the best ways to become a better mixer is to give feedback - as it encourages analytical listening and judging by your feedback, you have developed that skill nicely

I totally agree, and I've been part of this forum here: http://forum.recordingreview.com/ where there is a section called 'Bash This Recording' (much nicer than it sounds really, people are very friendly and helpful, you will find every kind of people there, from newbie to professional, musicians and mixers) for almost two years now and have practised critical listening on most of the submissions there. I know that I've learned a lot there even though there's always more to learn!
It's a great resource and you will be welcome there as well!

Hey Patrick, thanks for the heads-up on that resource - the vibe seems very similar to here. Your time spent developing critical listening skills has obviously paid off - you're right though, there's always more to learn - but I guess that's why we love it Big Grin
Really like your mix cool vibe good job Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(08-11-2014, 02:14 AM)thedon Wrote: Really like your mix cool vibe good job Big Grin !

cheers mate
Nice one. I couldn't seem to make the drum rooms work, so I went for a more present vibe. I wish I had known that Patrick was here commenting!
Live and Learn...

About the drums, Mike did (reasonably) simplify the multitracks.
I never used them all, but I do all the drums mixing in Superior Drummer's built-in mixer usually and really only use a stereo output + kick and snare outputs.

What I provided was a direct bounce from Superior Drummer and the Roots Brushes SDX provides a crazy amount of mics to work with: 3 for kick (in/ext/sub), 3 for snare (bottom/top condenser/top dynamic), ambiance near/mid/far/room and a chamber...
I suppose it would be a phase nightmare to have to deal with all of these.
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
I love your overall tone. My only (tiny)gripe is that the vocal seems a little "squeezed" in the mids, with the highs being a touch to present for my ear. Multiband compressor, or heavy eq treatment?

Aside from that, gorgeous take on the mix.
(21-11-2014, 07:30 AM)loweche6 Wrote: I love your overall tone. My only (tiny)gripe is that the vocal seems a little "squeezed" in the mids, with the highs being a touch to present for my ear. Multiband compressor, or heavy eq treatment?

Aside from that, gorgeous take on the mix.

Thanks for listening....glad you liked it. Re vocals....you're right, there's probably a bit too much 3K going on...i did a quick check and backing it off a couple of db and reducing the Q value sounds really good.

cheers
@maddrummer: you should create your own post to avoid hi-jacking HBGuitar's one.
About the synth, I like the sound of it but it sounds misaligned right now, looks like the MIDI was not in sync, might be my fault, if so, sorry about it, but I think it should be easy to realign.
Please repost on your own thread with a fix and I'll listen further.

Some air moved here
(09-12-2014, 03:03 AM)ptalbot Wrote: @maddrummer: you should create your own post to avoid hi-jacking HBGuitar's one.
About the synth, I like the sound of it but it sounds misaligned right now, looks like the MIDI was not in sync, might be my fault, if so, sorry about it, but I think it should be easy to realign.
Please repost on your own thread with a fix and I'll listen further.

I pulled it down. The MIDI was WAY off. Pulled all the MIDI cause the others were off as well. I'll put a new one up on the primary as soon as I figure that out.
Sorry new here in posting.
--- Computer: Mini MAC (2012 late) i7 CPU 16GB RAM, DAW's: Reaper latest version 64 bit and Mastering in Harrison Mixbus 32C. Akai Pro EIE ADA interface. I use mostly Slate and Waves plugins. Acoustic treated studio home studio. http://richarddesanti7.wixsite.com/logic-audio/clients