Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
02 - Louis Cressy - Gonna Have A Good Time

A new mix for this great song. Tweaked a few things and compressed even tighter. (Louis Cressy.mp3)

After auditioning this at various playback levels, a modest amount of mastering multi-band compression was added to tighten the track level. EQ was added added to groups to add presence as needed to make the tracks lay better. Short tail analogue delay was added to the lead guitar which helps build the dynamics as the song grows to the solos. Removed the Rainbar altogether.

03 - Louis Cressy:
This is a new approach after the addition of Yamaha HS 5s for mixing. It may be a bit thick in the middle and too hot at the edges but let me know what you think.

04 - Louis Cressy:
Though I like my previous versions of this mix, I decided to re-vision the bass guitar and ensemble guitars plus fix a too present delay on the lead guitar during the solos. I also redid the effects used throughout the mix including redoing the instrument effects and then placing the entire mix into a nice arena. The re-mastering ended up with a mix not as hot as mix 03, so turn it up, please. this mastering had more compression but in parallel at only about 30% to fill in some beef. Just a re-visioning of the entire song. Let me know what you think.

05 - Louis Cressy
Now I'm just playin'. I remixed and remastered this after placing the entire mix in a large arena, just for fun. Sounds good, I think. What do you think?

.mp3    01 - Louis Cressy - Gonna Have a Good Time-Master.mp3 --  (Download: 6.47 MB)

.mp3    Louis Cressy.mp3 --  (Download: 6.77 MB)

.mp3    03 - Louis Cressy - Gonna Have a Good Time.mp3 --  (Download: 4.41 MB)

.mp3    05 - Louis Cressy - Gonna Have a Good Time.mp3 --  (Download: 10.9 MB)

.mp3    04 - Louis Cressy - Gonna Have a Good Time.mp3 --  (Download: 10.9 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Aw... It's so rare I hear a rain stick these days. Smile

Sounds like a slight balance issue here... In the intro, the center of the image seems a might below the outside. (except for that snare. That's fine.)

I think the rest of this works pretty well. Sounds good too.
Old West Audio
Is it just me or are most of the elements sounding quite distant in this approach?
I also thought it's a bit mid-rangey, isn't it?

Apart from that I also think that the ideas on this one are very good.
(04-11-2014, 02:24 AM)azwayne Wrote: Aw... It's so rare I hear a rain stick these days. Smile

Sounds like a slight balance issue here... In the intro, the center of the image seems a might below the outside. (except for that snare. That's fine.)

I think the rest of this works pretty well. Sounds good too.

As I did not use a lot a buss compression in the mix I like to think my mix is a bit more dynamic. However, this is not the only time I have heard the opening guitar being too low in the mix. I set my playback level based on the opening guitar level, but I think I should have brought it up in the over-all balance. Thanks for your input.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(09-12-2014, 09:27 PM)orthogonalrecords Wrote: Is it just me or are most of the elements sounding quite distant in this approach?
I also thought it's a bit mid-rangey, isn't it?

Apart from that I also think that the ideas on this one are very good.

Do you think my effects make the individual tracks sound distance? It maybe my desire to give each instrument their own space and not create a bed for the voice. I like the funk instrumentation to be heard in all of the parts. I do not feel it is mid-rangy when I compared it to other artist on my playback system.

I wonder if it might be a good idea for contributors to describe their playback system(s) used for their mixes. Primarily, my mix was don on Dell desktop speakers with a sub and auditioned on an older ROR G System monitors.

Thanks for your comments.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hey Adam, after listening to all 3 versions of your mix, I'm liking version 3 the most. It sounds the most full of all of the mixes and doesn't seem as harsh as the first 2 versions in the high end. Nice work.

I did notice in all 3 versions there seems to be some weird clipping happening in the right channel when the second guitar kicks in in the intro. Also the kick needs some more bottom end and a low pass filter at around 10 kHz to take out some excess click so that it fits in better to the mix.

The guitar delay works better in the second solo than in the first solo, especially in the funky rhythm articulations. I would either not use the delay until the second solo or turn it off during the articulated bit before the solo.

Overall good mix Smile
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Hi Guys,

I would like to get permission to upload a mix I have done to a website i have built for listening pleasure only so my clients can listen to a sample that i have mixed in my studio.
Louis Cressy-Gonna have a good time.
Also if you have artwork for this song will be appreciated.

Regards
Wade