Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Patrick Talbot - Blue
Hello folks

This is my attemt trying to mix this very nice song!

In my view the drums was the hardest part to make fit in, as the sound of the kick/sn/toms in the overhead mics were loud and with alot of early reflections from the room they were recorded in.

After trying to reduce the roomambience on the kick/sn/toms with eq and dynamic eq I gave up and accepted that this is the way this recording sounds and tried to make a good balance instead.

The rest of the instruments and voice recordings sounded good.

I struggled a bit working out the level and place for the vibes and rhodes but when I read in another thread that they were meant as a pad, sort of floating in the back, it got a lot easier and I think I found the right place for them!

Please take a listen, all comments are appreciated!

Thanks!

.mp3    Patrick Talbot - Blue v1.mp3 --  (Download: 10.38 MB)

Very nice lydkjell!

I think you mastered the drums, which is one of the difficult thing on this tune.
And the vibes and rhodes are sitting nicely in the background IMO.

The vocal could use some reverb/delay to make it float a little bit, I think... this tune can use a lot of that IMHO.

But I really like the overall tone. Great job!
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
I really like this.....very smooth tone....nice Cool

I like the subtle effects.....you could add more...but I think it works as it is....it's comes down to preference once you get a mix to this point
Hi again, Hbguitar and Patrick

Thanks for your comments!

I made some changes to my mix based on the input your both gave me,so I added (experimenting with) some more reverb and think it worked out fine.

I tried to add some delays, mainly on the main vocal, but I could not manage to make them fit in, it sort of didn't fit genre-wise, I think...

Please take a listen!

Thank you!!

.mp3    Patrick Talbot - Blue v2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.38 MB)

Nice version lydkjell! Very smooth and airy. I like it.
Now you and HBGuitar are giving me a different perspective on my own mix which sounds harsh in comparison, argh!
I like the reverb, I know I've used both reverb and delay on the lead vocal and I probably have overdone the delay.
Great job!
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here