Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dark Horses - HB Mix
New version, mix_03.

rebalanced bass, snare and kick (again) plus OH from scratch

.mp3    Dark Horses_HB Mix_03_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 11.34 MB)

v3..the kick is overly dominant here, a pull-back on it's fader would fix that. i'm wondering if the kick's EQ could be worked much higher up the spectrum (if the mike has captured anything). it sounds overly thumpy, to use technical jargon! love the bass gtr now though, nice tone. i'd bring it up a touch more in the mix, but it only needs a whisker. i'm on dangerous ground now, because of the headphones and very moderate audition levels; Fletcher and his buddy Munson have left the building.

it's good that you went back in and had another bash though.

catch ya laters out and about..
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
(04-11-2014, 04:23 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: v3..the kick is overly dominant here, a pull-back on it's fader would fix that. i'm wondering if the kick's EQ could be worked much higher up the spectrum (if the mike has captured anything). it sounds overly thumpy, to use technical jargon! love the bass gtr now though, nice tone. i'd bring it up a touch more in the mix, but it only needs a whisker. i'm on dangerous ground now, because of the headphones and very moderate audition levels; Fletcher and his buddy Munson have left the building.

it's good that you went back in and had another bash though.

catch ya laters out and about..

Cheers Dave,

I had to work pretty hard to get the bass to sound good to my ears - upper harmonic saturation and parallel EQ up around 5Khz to clean up the mud.

I'm going back in for one last go....I've pulled a pretty insane EQ boost at 70 Hz on the kick to pull the main peak up from 60 Hz....i tried 80 hz but it sounded like someone pounding a beach ball
new version, mix_04 (hopefully last one)

rebalanced kick and bass - and EQ on kick

.mp3    Dark Horses_HB Mix_04_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 11.34 MB)

(05-11-2014, 01:21 PM)HbGuitar Wrote: new version, mix_04 (hopefully last one)

rebalanced kick and bass - and EQ on kick

Hi HB,

this is a tough one to balance, i'd say a couple of points if you want to attempt going back over this for a fifth time(?) with the vocal level as you have it you need some reinforcement of the lower mids probably the acoustic could be turned up a fair whack as it's the main rhythm of the song, the kick pops out a bit too much still, i'd try whacking up the bass level so its on a par loudness wise with the kick.
(08-11-2014, 10:57 PM)mixingonamission Wrote: Hi HB,

this is a tough one to balance, i'd say a couple of points if you want to attempt going back over this for a fifth time(?) with the vocal level as you have it you need some reinforcement of the lower mids probably the acoustic could be turned up a fair whack as it's the main rhythm of the song, the kick pops out a bit too much still, i'd try whacking up the bass level so its on a par loudness wise with the kick.

Thanks for listening, appreciate your comments. Mix_05..??..i think I'll need a break first.!!...fresh ears methinks....and pull all the faders down and rebalanced from scratch.

Agree that acoustic should lead the charge.. (and maybe in my mind i thought it was ..lol) ...and now I have a decent sounding bass i can be more confident with it. Mix 2,3 & 4 were just bottom end edits and maybe overall balance suffered.

I really like the song so would like to get it sorted.....so yeah....maybe mix-05...

Cheers Big Grin

p.s and maybe i should listen to provided track to help with referencing... i don't think i did (which i usually do)..probably didn't help
new version - mix_05

.mp3    Dark Horses_HB Mix_05_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 11.34 MB)