Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Talbot: 'Blue'
You need to be a bit careful that it don't end up all swimming that's the problem.
MIX 3

.mp3    BLUE MIX 3.mp3 --  (Download: 10.51 MB)

Yes, I like this version better!
You could say it's a taste thing, but if anything, with my limited vocal ability, I wanted to achieve a dream-like quality on that song, and on that version you rendered that in the vocals with your tasty use of reverb.

You have a rather different perspective of the elements, putting the rhodes/vibra/toy piano more forward than the guitar, but that's your view and it works as well.
Only during the chorus do I think it's less successful, when the guitar to me has more significance.

But overall, a great mix, nice and smooth. Great job!
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
If you wasn't into mixing and sat in on a mix you would get what you wanted I think. the rhodes/vibra/toy piano are very important I think and I tried to build the mix around them giving guitar a more relaxed role.
Not sure what you're saying here... I don't want anything, really. I respect your vision.
I'm just pointing to you that the guitar during the chorus has a much more important role than what you have given it in your mix, it's driving the part, along with the vocals.
Make of that whatever you want, use it or not, it's your mix!
I'm just pointing out something that I think you might have overlooked, trying to be helpful, but I don't want to bug you... no worries. Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Bug me,no lol
Made a few changes to guitar

.mp3    Blue guitar revision .mp3 --  (Download: 10.34 MB)

Yes! I think it works better. Don't you? Wink
You've pushed the limiter as well in this version, right? Still healthy, though.
Good job!

Some air moved here
Only a tad and run some distortion in parra..
Glad you like it.
I like your version two. I've been trying for a more ambient/wet mix, but for me it sounds better and works better a bit dryer. Every sort of bigger reverb I've tried has overemphasized the midrange elements which are already present in abundance... Which further makes brightening up the mix without introducing harshness a much more difficult task.

What keeps throwing me is that the bass, kick and vibra/Rhodes parts have lots of transients that are really out of time. Makes it hard to keep the low end nice and smooth without resorting to multivendor compression and flattening them out.

Out of time, human sounding recordings are no problem for me and make sense in this genre, but the low end is really tricky here. Doesn't help that my sub is currently bootie.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!