Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wesley Morgan: 'Poor Boy'
For some reason I hadn't seen that this song was available to mix. But I fell in love with it as soon as the first notes started playing, so I decided to give it a try.

Comments and advice will be welcomed!

.mp3    Wesley Morgan - Poor Boy.mp3 --  (Download: 9.16 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Sounds great to me. Balances are nice and the whole spectrum feels quite natural.

Something bothers me with bass-kick relationship. It's quite difficult to differentiate them. Maybe you could chose which one is to go low (50-60 hz?) and which one is somewhere higher (80-100 hz ?).

Snare around 2.00 feels a little messy. I wonder what effect could it have if it were not so near but somewhere behind in the distant space.
Hi, Olli! thanks for your comments as always!

I've improved the kick and bass relationship you mentioned. Yes, there was some conflict around 80hz that was causing that confusion. Now I believe you can hear both of them and tell them apart from each other!

I've tried your suggestion to send the snare a little bit back at 2.00; but only for that faster hit section. Not too far though because I didn't like my first try since it was too obvious and distracting.

Maybe the solution was sending the snare back throughout the whole song but I didn't like the result, so it's been pushed back for only a few seconds.

.mp3    Wesley Morgan - Poor Boy(2).mp3 --  (Download: 9.16 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Sounds good apart perhaps for the ambience that sounds too me a bit too much (too bright reverb perhaps?).
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
hi, pTalbot! thank you for your comments. I've lowered the ambience a little bit but not too much because I like how the song sounds. Yes, the bright ambience was chosen on purpose. I wanted to have some contrast with the lyrics message and also, the melody suggested me to have some bright ambience there. Blush

.mp3    Wesley Morgan - Poor Boy(2).mp3 --  (Download: 9.16 MB)

mixing since April 2013