Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Stone Culture mix
Here is my mix.

I tried to give it "swamp rock" vibe with the spring reverb on the guitars.

Would have loved to have the voice without so much spill.

Fun mix.

Any advise and critic is welcome.

Thanks.

.mp3    bigstone jeremias666 mix.mp3 --  (Download: 4.42 MB)

Please comment on others mixes, this site is all about feedback.
I like the way the vocal comes through in this mix. I think there’s some pre-delay in its reverb and maybe that’s what helps it cut through better.

I still hear some noise in the bass track. If you used RX’s hum removal, try the denoise option instead.

This mix is nearly mono. Reverb is about the only thing that creates any width. There’s a fair amount of repetition in the song itself so changing the panning occasionally will help keep a listener’s attention. The percussion and guitar are about the only places this can be done.
Nice Sergio Leone feel to the backing track, and the warm stereo vocal slapback is a great treatment: a bit of space without any clutter. In general I can't think of anything I'd have done different in that respect -- it's a really nice job.

The problem I've always had with this multitrack, though, is that there's so little scope to give the chorus a real step up, and that's the only really area that I'd suggest you might be able to improve on, either by multing the main guitar part, or more likely by layering something underneath the main guitar's 'character' frequencies to give it real power and maybe even a bit more of a stereo spread. I'd also probably add some stereo cymbal samples to supplement what's there, because they get a bit too trashy when the chorus kicks in.

All in all, though, a very creditable version this. Probably my favourite so far, in fact.
Thanks for the feedback.

I agree with the chorus, at least i would have liked the guitar in the chorus to be doubled so i could spread it and make the chorus open up and feel bigger. I could have played it myself or add some keyboards but i am lazy.
(19-02-2013, 08:33 PM)jeremias666 Wrote: I could have played it myself or add some keyboards but i am lazy.

1) I appreciate your candour.
2) I know what you mean.

Cool

i like what you've done with the spring verb on the chops in the verse guitars...they are very nice....as is the verb on deb's voice.

in fact there is some very nice little verby touches going throughout the piece

and i like the trash in the chorus guitars...

when i submitted this song to mike, it was one i had just recorded very quickly in the rehersal studio...and the recording wasn't ideal...with quite a few basic recording errors...but i liked the flow.

so - there is quite a bit of fixing required....especially with noise issues and bleed....but its very interesting to hear how people have imagined the song
best
wease
(drummer and recordist (?) of Big Stone Culture)

Cool mix. I definitely like the space you found with the vocals and the spring reverb puts a nice bounce in the guitars.
Wish I could get my mixes to sound as big as this does. Great job!
Thanks for the kind words.

Mrdanga: i didnt made anything out of the ordinary, just practice and practice, get to know your monitors, check on laptop speakers, headphones, boomboxes, any playback system you have around and you will get mixes way better than mine.
And compare against other mixes, thats the great thing about this place, you can compare to other mixes of the same song instead of comparing against your favorite rererence mixes.

Sounds great. Those spring verbs are perfect for the song as is the vocal effect. Thx for the listen Big Grin
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order