Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bobby Nobody - Stitch Up (Mixed by SoundMax)
Check it out, guys! Smile
I'm waiting for your comments...Rolleyes

.mp3    Bobby Nobody - Stitch Up.mp3 --  (Download: 8.22 MB)

Hmmm...

What I like: Natural sound; love the organic snare (a-la Flood on U2's Actung Baby album); good bass blend/level an in good blend with the bass overall.

What I do not like: Guitars are weak--it is strange, but while everything fits, sometimes much more than that is needed. The band clearly wanted the guitars to be incredibly powerful. Yours are audible, clear and in their own space, but have no impact really.

In a nutshell, from a technical standpoint, I can find nothing about your mix which yanks me out of the song, and nothing particularly poor in the execution. However, I can also find nothing which makes the song sing to me and creates the impact I believe the genre and the band would desire, based on the arrangement, particularly around the guitars.

Hope that helps. You did a clean mix. Try doing one that is balls-out and see what you come up with!
Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
Mile-High Audio Productions
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]

Thank You so much, Joe!)
You really helped me to understand my mistakes!
You are very welcomed sir.

Note, it isn't really about mistakes, and opinions around here mean very little. I try to be objective as possible, which is always hard for engineers to do.

That said, try something next time around (I'm on my 3rd mix of this song, because it creates the perfect practice challenge time and again--I take long breaks, then eventually come back and start over!):

Next time you mix this tune, try doing the guitars completely in mono until you've gone about as far as you can before starting the stereo spread. Just give it a whirl. I think this song almost demands it. I'm an old Cure fan, and love groups like Radiohead and Foo Fighters, so huge walls of guitars are my passion when it comes to the fight in the mix (make no mistake, there's going to be a fight, right? lol).

Anyway, would love to hear the next one. Try the mono thing, then, once you feel they're killin', start panning.

Look forward to the next mix.
Joe Walter
a.k.a. "grizwalter"
Mile-High Audio Productions
www.mountainmix.net
[email protected]