Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fairytale - my try
Hi there,

This is my first try on that song.
Personally I don't like the outcome - in my opinion it's a perfect example where you would pull down all the faders and start again from scratch.

However, I didn't want to withhold that try from you.
I will probably come up with a new version soon.

Any comments are of course highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Markus

.mp3    Fairytale_rough.mp3 --  (Download: 11.35 MB)

Hi Markus .
This is a fun mix ,I am still working on too ,the vocals and instruments are good the drums need to come forward more with less compression Big Grin.

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Hi!

I think you put too much compression on drums, and you can make mono the electric GTR1 for make space for the others GTR: don't compress the GTR rather re-apm them Wink. Bass need some compression to make it sound full...
This is a bit how I worked on my mix Wink

All best

Jacques Moretti
Hey Markus. I haven't as yet been able to get a decent mix out of these tracks, so keep that in mind as you read my comments:

Pretty much every track in these recordings is out of balance spectrally (at least in my opinion), and those balance issues are carrying forth into your mix... most of the guitars have serious midrange bloat from 600 to 900 and it sounds pretty unmanaged to me... the chorused rhythm guitar, however, is very jangly in the higher order mids, but I'm missing the body around 500, possibly because other guitars are cluttering up that area a bit, which'd tempt just about anyone to give it a cut around there.

Others have mentioned that the drums are heavily over-compressed, so I won't dwell on that too much, but instead might offer a suggestion: consider using the drums to drive a compressor over the entire mix buss.... then introduce the other instruments once the compressor is responding the way you want it to. If you follow any of my comments you'll notice I've been suggesting this a lot lately, but there's no particular reason for that other than I've been hearing many mixes that could benefit from that technique. I think getting the drum compression you like and then mixing in the rest of the band will help you give the drums the oomph that you're going for without separating them so completely from the mix.... I could completely forgive many of the artifacts of overcompression if it weren't making the drums sound so completely disparate to every other track.

As for the vocal, the sibilants really do sound very phasey/colored, and of course that's no fault of yours. I already know from having tried that de-essing isn't going to help and I really doubt you'll be able to get a dynamic EQ to help much either... because I'm thinking that there was some signal processing performed during tracking that exacerbated some room issues... probably a compressor overemphasizing some tonal coloration that's inevitably introduced if a singer moves and the mic doesn't.... phase is a tough, tough thing. But when life hands you lemons, make lemonade... try modulating the vocal track intentionally! It might be passing the buck, but if you try it and it sounds good, problem solved, so far as I'm concerned Smile

I think processing this mix in chunks might be what needs to happen to get everything working... a multiband compressor on the guitar buss makes a lot of sense to me to put a firm ceiling on the midrange buildup, and it'd help you EQ a decent tone into the offending tracks without making the problem worse, almost kinda like EQ boosting into a limiter during mastering. And after you apply any sort of global reverb (if you choose to) try muting the drums and bass while the mix is running. That'll help make it more obvious whether or not the level/type of ambiance you're using is contributing to midrange buildup or mud.

Eh, I always come off like I'm a self proclaimed expert, but I'm not.... these are just my opinions, and hopefully they're helpful to you. Let me know when you post a revision, I'm keen to hear it.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Thanks for all your input guys.
And thanks especially to you, pauli, for your detailed comment and your suggestions. That are some great thoughts.

Maybe I will do another mix in the meantime to reset my ears and then come back to this one to start it all over again.
Apart from my full-time job (which is actually more than full-time) I am also recording my band at the moment, so everything takes some more time than usual. I hope you will be patient with me. Smile
(22-10-2014, 11:42 AM)orthogonalrecords Wrote: Thanks for all your input guys.
And thanks especially to you, pauli, for your detailed comment and your suggestions. That are some great thoughts.

Maybe I will do another mix in the meantime to reset my ears and then come back to this one to start it all over again.
Apart from my full-time job (which is actually more than full-time) I am also recording my band at the moment, so everything takes some more time than usual. I hope you will be patient with me. Smile

I can sympathize... I'm always busy myself
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!