Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loud and clear V4
Here is the fourth version Big Grin !

.mp3    Loud and clear V2..mp3 --  (Download: 10.53 MB)

.mp3    Loud and clear V-3.mp3 --  (Download: 10.53 MB)

.mp3    Loud and clear V4._1.mp3 --  (Download: 10.44 MB)

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Hey Don...You managed to the find the tracks eventually

Lots of things to like so far. Nice vocals; snare, kick and bass are balanced and clear and mid range sits nicely......no violin...??? did you bottle it or forget?? lol

couple of points spring to mind

1. The OH/Cymbals are quite dominant. Not sure if its necessarily a level thing, or perhaps the panning of the mono files - which leads me onto the 2nd thing
2. the stereo image is fairly narrow for what is a pretty full arrangement

The net result of 1 & 2 is that its all a bit congested at times and so doesn't breathe and let us/the listener appreciate the otherwise nicely balanced mix. If you resolve 2 maybe 1 will improve..or vice versa

3. The automation going into the bridge is maybe a bit obvious

cheers
(18-10-2014, 01:50 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: Hey Don...You managed to the find the tracks eventually

Lots of things to like so far. Nice vocals; snare, kick and bass are balanced and clear and mid range sits nicely......no violin...??? did you bottle it or forget?? lol

couple of points spring to mind

1. The OH/Cymbals are quite dominant. Not sure if its necessarily a level thing, or perhaps the panning of the mono files - which leads me onto the 2nd thing
2. the stereo image is fairly narrow for what is a pretty full arrangement

The net result of 1 & 2 is that its all a bit congested at times and so doesn't breathe and let us/the listener appreciate the otherwise nicely balanced mix. If you resolve 2 maybe 1 will improve..or vice versa

3. The automation going into the bridge is maybe a bit obvious

cheers
Thanks for having a listen, found the violin and had another play around and remixed on different monitors Big Grin.

I like the overall tone of this mix, V2, much more....increasing the bass level and widening the OH tracks really helps with the tonal balance and helps clear out the middle for the vocals - which sound a little boxy in V1 now when i A/B the two mixes.

ideas for V3??....well personal preferences only...take/leave what you want

I like that you've chosen a relatively stripped down approach and i think it works for you - but i think there is room for keeping it stripped down and still bringing in the violin and horns to more effect from time to time with automation - i can hardly hear them at the mo

cheers

Yesterday I wrote my comments, but it seems that I didn’t send them. So here’s new version:

I like the almost mono drums retro sound. Also for those yelling parts the mono-style suits fine.

As your top end is not modern but smooth and retro, you might consider to make also kick little more retro: less low end.

I’m having problems to hear the bass.

Guitar fIll around 1.55 is non-existent

Guitar from 3.06 onwards in C-part could be little louder to make change to overall tonality
Thanks for feedback HB and Olli ,Done another remix and will come back to it another day Big Grin !

.mp3    Loud and clear V-3.mp3 --  (Download: 10.53 MB)

Version 4 Big Grin

.mp3    Loud and clear V4._1.mp3 --  (Download: 10.44 MB)

Hi, Don. I'm listening to V4. You should adjust the vocals volume because at the beginning of the chorus, you cannot hear the first phrase (check 2:37 for instance). Also the overall chorus volume is much lower than the verses. I really like the piano and the drums sound Smile

mixing since April 2013
(24-10-2014, 05:41 PM)juanjose1967 Wrote: Hi, Don. I'm listening to V4. You should adjust the vocals volume because at the beginning of the chorus, you cannot hear the first phrase (check 2:37 for instance). Also the overall chorus volume is much lower than the verses. I really like the piano and the drums sound Smile

Thanks for for having a listen Juanjose will fix the vocal volume in the next remix Big Grin

For my taste, too much on that lower piano mic. I also agree with the cymbals comment. There are hits at 1:49 and 1:56 which are very importand and good to make more prominent but some of the random hits underneath the vocals I think should be tamped down some. I can tell that you're trying to go for a very aggressive sounding mix but I think you're a tad overshooting in some respects. On the refrain at ~1:20, that entrance is quite weak. Might want to see what you can do about making that poke out a bit more. It sounds like maybe you took the better vocal tracks and faked double tracks on some parts? (No comment there, just wondering.)

Overall, it's okay but it doesn't quite feel like everything is sitting where it's supposed to to me. Dunno... maybe thin out some sections of the tune and try to use that to build a bigger climax maybe? (I still haven't decided how I'm going to hand that. Still working through the vocal refinements.)
Old West Audio