Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mix "One Minute Smile"
This is my mix of One Minute Smile from Actions.
I hope you enjoy it!!

.mp3    One Minute Smile.mp3 --  (Download: 2.47 MB)

Wow, you've certainly bashed this mix comprehensively into the endstops! While I can see the arguments for taking a fairly assertive approach to channel and master-buss dynamics, and even controlled distortion, to get a really forward-sounding master, this comfortably overshoots how far I'd ever expect to go with them. Looking for plus sides of what you've done, for the moment, it does get the song across very loud and aggressive on small systems even at very low volumes, in the way of some very ruthlessly mixed chart-aimed songs from people like Kelly Clarkson or Pink. However, if you line up this mix against something recent from the aforementioned artists (like 'Stronger' or 'Blow Me' respectively) you'll hear that your tactic is probably going to backfire in practice, because their mixes come over the cheapest systems much more clearly, and yet with a lot more punch and definition over big speakers too -- although they're hardly a pleasant listen under those circumstances either.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm not going to shoot you for competing in the loudness wars (you'll find more than enough people here to oblige if you need someone to fulfil that role, though...), but I think you should try to play it better than you are at the moment. Your mix is distorting wholesale, rather than selectively on the bits that tolerate that distortion, for instance, and you also seem not to have compensated at the mixing stage for the transient-flattening effects of massive loudness-enhancement, which you kind of have to do if you're really going to play that game. Mono compatibility is a bit of an Achilles heel here too -- you've got as much Sides component as Middle component, which is a lot of material to lose on mono systems.
Thank you for your comment. I found it very helpful. Hope next time I'll do it better.