Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
' Easy Tiger '
Having some fun playing with this song Big Grin !

.mp3    Easy TigerV_1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.52 MB)

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Sounds well balaced and eq´d to me.
Im not so familiar with the genre that I can give much advice, just think the biiig vocals in intro suggest even louder volume to come, and then drums hit and they seem small because of the big vocals. I´d turn them down or distort them or verb them or somthin Big Grin
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Great job with the vocals, dude. Nice and upfront. Like Niells said, the spectrum feels pretty nicely balanced for the most part. My monitors are absolutely merciless when it comes to the treble stuff (so I might not be wrong about this) but there's a high pitched hi-hat/chirpy synthy thing that's pretty ear burny at a normal listening volume... if I remember right I lowpassed that thing, and saturated it a little, so that's a potential solution if you agree.

In my opinion the groove could be a little looser... to me it sounds very strictly controlled in your mix. Maybe fiddling with the attack/release times on the drum buss or stereo buss compressors (if any) could give it a little more bounce. It just sounds like the beat could relax just a bit... but that's all in the interpretation.

Really cool, Don. Thanks for sharing, it's a good mix.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
(15-10-2014, 05:26 PM)Voelund Wrote: Sounds well balaced and eq´d to me.
Im not so familiar with the genre that I can give much advice, just think the biiig vocals in intro suggest even louder volume to come, and then drums hit and they seem small because of the big vocals. I´d turn them down or distort them or verb them or somthin Big Grin

yes this genre is out of my comfort zone and one I have to explore more ,I agree about the intro vocals stealing the thunder , I need to spend more time experimenting with arrangements .

Thanks Big Grin

(15-10-2014, 08:31 PM)pauli Wrote: Great job with the vocals, dude. Nice and upfront. Like Niells said, the spectrum feels pretty nicely balanced for the most part. My monitors are absolutely merciless when it comes to the treble stuff (so I might not be wrong about this) but there's a high pitched hi-hat/chirpy synthy thing that's pretty ear burny at a normal listening volume... if I remember right I lowpassed that thing, and saturated it a little, so that's a potential solution if you agree.

In my opinion the groove could be a little looser... to me it sounds very strictly controlled in your mix. Maybe fiddling with the attack/release times on the drum buss or stereo buss compressors (if any) could give it a little more bounce. It just sounds like the beat could relax just a bit... but that's all in the interpretation.

Really cool, Don. Thanks for sharing, it's a good mix.

Great observation the high pitched hi-hat/chirpy synthy thing definitely needs low pass,
I did tighten up the drums with gates and compression ,will have a play around.

Thanks Big Grin

I'm not familiar with this genre, but it doesn't sound bad to me at all. Maybe I would adjust a little bit the vocals volume at 0:54, and also I found that the vocals volume from 1:04 should be also reviewed. There's a singer that says his lines much louder than the other.

But other than that, I think you did a great job here! Smile
mixing since April 2013
(16-10-2014, 06:04 PM)juanjose1967 Wrote: I'm not familiar with this genre, but it doesn't sound bad to me at all. Maybe I would adjust a little bit the vocals volume at 0:54, and also I found that the vocals volume from 1:04 should be also reviewed. There's a singer that says his lines much louder than the other.

But other than that, I think you did a great job here! Smile

Thanks for having a listen, the vocal parts were recorded on different tracks blending together Dave explains it perfectly in Pauli's post which is a skill I have to add to my list to work on more Big Grin.

It's possible that the struggles with the vocal inconsistencies might be best addressed by muting the double tracks... Although the vocals are where much of the stereo possibilities lay with this song, so it'd be down to width or consistency. For my part, a little inconsistency isn't so bad for this style and gives it a dash of "liveness."

I grouped each set of double tracks and compressed the group channels lightly to firm things up a bit without squeezing all the groove out. For me this song is all about groove, and any slight mixing folly that contributes to the overall groove is perfectly forgivable in my opinion.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!