Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My mix Wesley Morgan "Backroom in Tulsa"
Hiya!

Check out my mix and feel free to comment on it!

Cheers
/J

.m4a    Wesley Morgan - Backroom in Tulsa - Jamolir.m4a --  (Download: 7.25 MB)

Hey There,

I enjoyed the presence of the instruments in your mix. You really brought everything forward and made everything hit hard. I got to hear the piano and pedal steel more which is cool since they are such neat parts.

The downside of your mix is that the vocal gets buried. Maybe there is a way to duck down the backing tracks when the vocal is in so that it can sit on top a bit more.

If I were paying you to mix this, I would have asked for more vocal and more of a spotlight on the electric guitar fills in the second verse and during the guitar solo.

Thanks,
Wesley

(16-12-2012, 07:13 PM)Jamolir Wrote: Hiya!

Cheers
/J

(11-01-2013, 02:32 AM)Wesley Morgan Wrote: Hey There,

I enjoyed the presence of the instruments in your mix. You really brought everything forward and made everything hit hard. I got to hear the piano and pedal steel more which is cool since they are such neat parts.

The downside of your mix is that the vocal gets buried. Maybe there is a way to duck down the backing tracks when the vocal is in so that it can sit on top a bit more.

If I were paying you to mix this, I would have asked for more vocal and more of a spotlight on the electric guitar fills in the second verse and during the guitar solo.

Thanks,
Wesley

(16-12-2012, 07:13 PM)Jamolir Wrote: Hiya!

Cheers
/J

Hi Wesley,

Thanx for the comment! Always most rewarding when the artist comments on your mixes, much appreciated!

And I guess that´s the downside of these "multitrack forums" too. I don´t know what you are looking for so It´s all my interpretation.

Don´t get me wrong, I love these kind of forums especially when there is an artist commenting on your work. Smile

About your comments, I´ll get right on it and you should be able to hear a new mix by tomorrow!

Cheers,
J
Lovely atmosphere you've got going here, with a succession of gently surprisingly sonic changes that I really liked. The opening guitar; then the hi-fi vocal and porky bass; then the beautifully roomy kick and suspicions of percussion blooming into snare and cymbal accents; and finally the whole band at 1:00. Lots of clarity and warmth; excellent blend, with the vocals just where I want them in the depth perspective; and generally a sensitive ear for what's really interesting about each of these sounds where EQ is concerned. I'm a fan.

My biggest technical concern, is that the bass feels overblown, even within the context of the amount of slack I'm willing to give Wait-esque production sonics. It's distracting for me on a full-range system, which is a shame because there's so much here I don't want to be distracted from!
(20-02-2013, 10:25 PM)Mike Senior Wrote: Lovely atmosphere you've got going here, with a succession of gently surprisingly sonic changes that I really liked. The opening guitar; then the hi-fi vocal and porky bass; then the beautifully roomy kick and suspicions of percussion blooming into snare and cymbal accents; and finally the whole band at 1:00. Lots of clarity and warmth; excellent blend, with the vocals just where I want them in the depth perspective; and generally a sensitive ear for what's really interesting about each of these sounds where EQ is concerned. I'm a fan.

My biggest technical concern, is that the bass feels overblown, even within the context of the amount of slack I'm willing to give Wait-esque production sonics. It's distracting for me on a full-range system, which is a shame because there's so much here I don't want to be distracted from!

Ok seriously.... You have got to stop with the praise already... Do you know how big my head is right now...? Smile Smile

Just kidding, keep it coming.... Wink

Concerning the bass, It´s the same problem in this song as it was in Java Session - Song 1

I didn´t at the time have proper control over the lower frequencies. I´ve corrected this by installing a sub and hopefully I´ll gain control over that area too. For me (and many more I suspect) the lower range is a bit of a struggle but I´m still learning and am exited about mastering the sub too...

As always, your feedback is invaluable for us upcoming engineers. So thank you very much!

Cheers!

/Marcus