Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lyndsey Ollard: 'Catching Up'
Hi dear people,

I love this beautiful song!
Oh, many things in tracks have hiss, noises, () but...
Well, this is my 'mix' :-)

THNX for listen Big Grin

.mp3    Catching Up M-D.mp3 --  (Download: 8.59 MB)

I like the instrument sound, and also vocals sound good. Also balances feel good to me. So you're doing a good job here.

My main development ideas would be about the space. This kind of music benefits of illusion of real band playing together. Now there’s not so coherent space. Instrument sound too much separately played and I can almost hear/see the headphones in singers head . Maybe you should try to glue the space some how. I’m not sure how, but maybe just a little bit feeling of early reflection to near instruments and vocals. Something that is not so obvious, but still makes a big difference.

The opening guitar sounds to me too processed. It somewhat takes the focus from the singer. This is one of the best songs and singers in this forum. I feel that while mixing this kind of song one should think: what is the best sound for the guitar (or any instrument), to make the vocal sound awesome.
(11-10-2014, 04:12 PM)Olli H Wrote: I like the instrument sound, and also vocals sound good. Also balances feel good to me. So you're doing a good job here.

My main development ideas would be about the space. This kind of music benefits of illusion of real band playing together. Now there’s not so coherent space. Instrument sound too much separately played and I can almost hear/see the headphones in singers head . Maybe you should try to glue the space some how. I’m not sure how, but maybe just a little bit feeling of early reflection to near instruments and vocals. Something that is not so obvious, but still makes a big difference.

The opening guitar sounds to me too processed. It somewhat takes the focus from the singer. This is one of the best songs and singers in this forum. I feel that while mixing this kind of song one should think: what is the best sound for the guitar (or any instrument), to make the vocal sound awesome.

Thank you Olli.
You are completly right :-)
I want to thank in your thinking and nice advice because it's all true what you said. In this song in its original format, there are too many technical recording problems. But for me, this song is beautiful as well as a singer, which I was immediately attracted to my little different 'experiment' in the process of my mix.
When I started the initial idea was to do something completly different, however, from other mixes here...
The idea was that 'sound' I try to do maybe in a surreal space but the song still remains in its size and stable form. So I deliberately separated each instrument individually in its space and also tried to assign the unreal functions. Perhaps this sounds too confusing you but this idea I tried to experiment something very different from the 'real'.
Thanks again for your advice Olli, you gave me more ideas:-) I appreciate it. For me new ideas as new life.
(11-10-2014, 06:44 PM)M-D Wrote: When I started the initial idea was to do something completly different, however, from other mixes here...
The idea was that 'sound' I try to do maybe in a surreal space but the song still remains in its size and stable form. So I deliberately separated each instrument individually in its space and also tried to assign the unreal functions. Perhaps this sounds too confusing you but this idea I tried to experiment something very different from the 'real'.

Main thing here is to learn something new. So it's always a good idea to try something totally new. It may happen that 1/10 of experiments succeed, but still it's worth of it. And even better if you post your experiments here.

(11-10-2014, 07:58 PM)Olli H Wrote: Main thing here is to learn something new. So it's always a good idea to try something totally new. It may happen that 1/10 of experiments succeed, but still it's worth of it. And even better if you post your experiments here.

Yes, thank you so much Olli! ;-)
This forum is for both pro and beginners or something different.
Forum is great, also here users have very invaluable experience.
Now I have started to work on another song (ATD :-) )
Maybe I have another similar 'experiment' in mixing, who knows Big Grin
Depends from ideas... Anyhow I will put here my works. This is the essence for all.