Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poor Boy - Digital Master
Here is the semi-final version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQc_PrKVdRU

The master is pretty much like the final mix except that I rode the levels between sections (including the level going into the limiter). The final sections are squashed a little bit more than the first sections. This allowed me to get the build I envisioned for the song without sacrificing too much initial volume or dropping the volume to low in the first sections. I might have also used some Ozone Stereo Widening. No mastering EQ.

I got to mix the final version OTB on a Neve console. I used an Moog Delay on the voice, some additional compression on the banjo and voice, plus bus compression through a Manley Vari-Mu. Some riding volume of tracks between sections.

(04-10-2014, 01:56 AM)Wesley Morgan Wrote: Here is the semi-final version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQc_PrKVdRU

The master is pretty much like the final mix except that I rode the levels between sections (including the level going into the limiter). The final sections are squashed a little bit more than the first sections. This allowed me to get the build I envisioned for the song without sacrificing too much initial volume or dropping the volume to low in the first sections. I might have also used some Ozone Stereo Widening. No mastering EQ.

I got to mix the final version OTB on a Neve console. I used an Moog Delay on the voice, some additional compression on the banjo and voice, plus bus compression through a Manley Vari-Mu. Some riding volume of tracks between sections.

Hi Wesley!

Please, send for us some info about tracking setup/equipments/mic placements etc for that song!

Thanks! Big Grin

Google translate! Blush

The song was recorded in three different locations.

Drums recorded at Skyline Studios in Oakland, CA. We overdubbed snare rolls during big sections of the song, and overdubbed cymbal swells. I used overheads and rooms for toms, cymbals, and room sound. I replaced the kick drum sound with a sample.

Female vocals, bass, electric guitars, bells, and toy piano were recorded in a house in Sea Ranch, CA using UAD Apollo and Mac Laptop. We used Fender Deluxe for guitars and mic'd with LDC on front and Royer 121 behind for some bass. Female vox used a LDC into Vintech x73 pre. Bells and toy piano used various LDC.

Guitars and banjo were recorded at Mission Street Studios in SF, CA. Used Royer 121 into Neve console mostly.

Vocals were recording in my closet using a LDC > vintech x73 > UAD Apollo
(06-10-2014, 05:42 PM)Wesley Morgan Wrote: The song was recorded in three different locations.

Drums recorded at Skyline Studios in Oakland, CA. We overdubbed snare rolls during big sections of the song, and overdubbed cymbal swells. I used overheads and rooms for toms, cymbals, and room sound. I replaced the kick drum sound with a sample.

Female vocals, bass, electric guitars, bells, and toy piano were recorded in a house in Sea Ranch, CA using UAD Apollo and Mac Laptop. We used Fender Deluxe for guitars and mic'd with LDC on front and Royer 121 behind for some bass. Female vox used a LDC into Vintech x73 pre. Bells and toy piano used various LDC.

Guitars and banjo were recorded at Mission Street Studios in SF, CA. Used Royer 121 into Neve console mostly.

Vocals were recording in my closet using a LDC > vintech x73 > UAD Apollo

Thanks! Big Grin