Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poor Boy_HB Mix
Great song and interesting to see "inside" a final mix albeit only as stems and without effects.

Added verb and delays for ambiance, 1-2db mix buss compression to glue it all together...everything else exactly as downloaded....niceCool

.mp3    Poor Boy_HB Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 10.11 MB)

Good job. Sounds good. I could hear the sort of verb you added on the Kick and the voice. Different than what I chose to do (single delay), but it sounds good.

Mixing this is maybe what mixing old 4 tracks or 8 tracks must have been like. The idea is that I produced the sounds as I went, so at mixdown there isn't as much producing as there might be with more raw sounds.

You can hear the version I mixed at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQc_PrKVdRU

I made an arrangement change, had individual compression on some instruments( i.e. smoothing out the banjo, maybe some on the voice), and used some Ozone stereo widening on the final mix bus (as well as OTB compression). I also got to mix on a Neve Board which helped with fatness.

In the master, I did some level changes between sections and even rode the limiter harder in the final sections (more chopping off of waveforms than in the earlier part of the song). This helped me get more of a build to the song that I couldn't quite nail in the mix. No real EQ changes.
Hi Wesley. Thanks for dropping by. Its not often we get to hear from artists so its great to get your feedback Big Grin

The idea of producing stems as you go works really well. Everything came together so easily and gelled I was surprised - hence why i didn't do any processing apart from mix buss compression - it all sounded so good straight off the bat.

Cheers
Great job,cant fault it.Your mixing is getting really good now.
Great work
thanks Alan - even though most of the credit goes to Wesley for producing such nice stems, I was really pleased with how this one turned out.

Cheers