Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loud And Clear
My take on this one Smile
Updated implementing Voelund's suggestions and also making an attempt with Melodyne on some of the vocal tracks.

.mp3    Loud And Clear Final.mp3 --  (Download: 10.23 MB)

.mp3    Loud And Clear.mp3 --  (Download: 10.23 MB)

To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Hi Bob
I wonder what you mix on ? On my equipment I hear a lot o build up 100-200, and if your speakers are soft in that area it will make sense.
The levels are great and as usual your el gtr sounds dirty and mean as they should :-)
The drums could be a bit brighter and the snare maybe a dB louder.

Hearing it a 2nd time I think its the bas that could do with the 100-200 thinning.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(01-10-2014, 04:36 PM)Voelund Wrote: Hi Bob
I wonder what you mix on ? On my equipment I hear a lot o build up 100-200, and if your speakers are soft in that area it will make sense.
The levels are great and as usual your el gtr sounds dirty and mean as they should :-)
The drums could be a bit brighter and the snare maybe a dB louder.

Hearing it a 2nd time I think its the bas that could do with the 100-200 thinning.
I agree with your thoughts. I think you were right about the bass and also I had warmed up the accoustics a bit too much for the overall mix as well. Thanks for the input Smile
I was just about to update the track with my Melodyn attempt when I saw your comment so I just updated it.
Much better. Its a shame, for educational purpose, you didnt leave the first mix.

The melodyne helps a lot but its not a set and forget as 2nd phrase 2nd chorus shows. It triggers one voice half a note off.
I only have logics built in tuning plugin and a yamaha called pithfix. None of them are very good but Im tryin. And gettin even more grey hairs ...
Another thought. Backin of instrument lvl. especially guitar in verses may be a good idea, just a bit, to create dynamics.
Guitarsound is great, specially last part without the vocals.
I think you can tweak it a bit more if you want but this mix sounds just fine to me.
Good job
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Niels, I suggest you download cockos reapers free plugin bundle... Reapitch has an excellent manual tuning option. Best I've heard in a free plugin... Even the auto correction is decent (as these things go)
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Thanks for the idea. If I can get an older version of it it may work with my very old Logic I keep comin back to. I tried Reaper and worked in it a couple o days
Its a cool program and if I were to start from scratch I would choose that and some day I might. The reason I come back to Logic is that I know it in and out.
Actually, they distribute the plugin bundle for free without having to use reaper. I'm pretty sure it will work in logic, there's a Mac version I believe.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
I agree with voelund comments.

You have a great sounding mix, but there’s still some weird rumble in low end. Especially in the opening. Could be it that piano and bass together are creating weird pulsing sounds?
(04-10-2014, 02:17 PM)Olli H Wrote: I agree with voelund comments.

You have a great sounding mix, but there’s still some weird rumble in low end. Especially in the opening. Could be it that piano and bass together are creating weird pulsing sounds?

Thanks for the listen, Olli. I posted an revision below which hopefully takes care of the low end issue Undecided

.mp3    Loud And Clear 2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.23 MB)

Now I don't hear any problems!