Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ThePhonk's mix
Now,

does the world need another mix of this song? Well... I guess it cannot hurt. I still love it. And I think that before I post more comments on other people's mixes, I should post something to comment back on Tongue

I started working on this months ago, and revisited it from time to time. My original intention was to make it barn-dry and a bit dusty and seedy, and space the instruments as realistically as possible. Then I could not resist the textures and the interplay of the stringed instruments and celebrated a Haas fest.

I reached a point with this mix where my decisions become oscillating ("tad bit more vocals... ah, no, rather less"). Probably a good time to take a break and collect some feedback.

I'm happy enough with it, to be honest. I wanted the bass a bit woody and hollow (inspired by Ian's mix), the drums rather washed out, and spotlight the best moments of the stringed instruments. I think I accomplished that to a certain extent. The thing that I am unhappy with is the crash. And I knowingly sacrificed some mono compatibility.

Anything else? Bass too boomy? Vocals too edgy? What do you think?

Marc

.mp3    Uncle-Dad_Who-I-Am_ThePhonk-V014.mp3 --  (Download: 6.99 MB)

Not really able to listen at the moment, but I just wanted to say that the way you write about what you're doing has such a great attitude -- a questioning mindset which accepts the necessity of compromises and balances them against each other for the best overall result. I'll try to have a listen to this when I do my next splurge in the New Year.
hi the phonk's its nice but its to bright i made me lower the volume.
i think the vocals are to bright he have alot of low's but you took them out . also on the second a part i think the track jast need a lift.
you can listen to my mix and hear what i mean.
soory uzi
Hi,

You really nailed the banjo sound, love it!

I think the kick could be a bit more present with a little top end added.

In todays radio world I think it could have been some more 2-3k overall but nice job indeed!

Cheers
/J
(15-12-2012, 10:02 AM)Mike Senior Wrote: Not really able to listen at the moment, but I just wanted to say that the way you write about what you're doing has such a great attitude -- a questioning mindset which accepts the necessity of compromises and balances them against each other for the best overall result. I'll try to have a listen to this when I do my next splurge in the New Year.

Blush

(16-12-2012, 11:42 AM)Jamolir Wrote: [...]You really nailed the banjo sound, love it!

I think the kick could be a bit more present with a little top end added.

In todays radio world I think it could have been some more 2-3k overall but nice job indeed! [...]

You raise an interesting point: I never thought about any audience. I intuitively mixed that for myself, for the mood that I wanted this song to bring to me. At this particular time. But I never reflected this, until now.

And this me!-me!-me!-ishness is why I actually tried to dull down the drums and especially un-transient the kick. I wanted the groove to come from the banjo, for example Big Grin But I may have gone too far, as it may happen with every overly deliberate decision. I'll have an eye on it!

(15-12-2012, 09:54 PM)uzilevi Wrote: hi the phonk's its nice but its to bright i made me lower the volume.
i think the vocals are to bright he have alot of low's but you took them out . also on the second a part i think the track jast need a lift.
you can listen to my mix and hear what i mean.
soory uzi

Hm... to be honest, I have a hard time following you here. As for the vocals, I don't see a great difference in brightness between your mix and mine, as demonstrated in the file below (the duller bits are mine, the more spacious bits are yours). And what kind of "lift" would you suggest? I cannot see that from your mix either.

Thanks to all of you for your feedback!

Marc

.mp3    huh.mp3 --  (Download: 903.06 KB)

hi the "a" part on 1.10 need more volume. as for the vocal i can hear now that you gave all the other parts more hi end than the vocal.so it makes the balance not nice,its like all the instrements are infront of the vocal,and it makes the vocal feel bright.the snr, the dorbo on the intro ,the overhads are bright,i can say to you to brighten up the vocal but it will be wrong all the parts are jast to bright,if you started the mix on the parts first ,i think you need to start with the vocal first.
its ok not to think like me Smile))))))
I am glad, uzilevi,

that it's ok not to think like you, because I have no clue how I'd do that Tongue! Funny thing is: I actually started with the vocals. But then I found the instruments much more fun to play with. As far as I remember anyway.

I must admit that I now do see a problem in the direction you're pointing at: something with brightness and vocals. The instruments are indeed brighter. I did not use headphones much during this mix, and using them now I find that the lead vocal does not sit perfectly well. One may attribute that to brightness, but if so, I'd hear it as a lack of it. In my thinking, the lead vocal is too non-dimensional, compared to the stringed instruments and even the background vocal. I'll think about it. Thanks!

And still your mix sounds much brighter to me than mine Smile!

Marc
i didnt say my mixes arent brighter then yours i sad its more balanced Smile))
we as mixers need to know when the eq is to much. Smile
(21-12-2012, 08:17 AM)uzilevi Wrote: [...] we as mixers need to know when the eq is to much. Smile

Indeed!

(14-12-2012, 09:21 PM)ThePhonk Wrote: Now,

does the world need another mix of this song? Well... I guess it cannot hurt. I still love it. And I think that before I post more comments on other people's mixes, I should post something to comment back on Tongue

I started working on this months ago, and revisited it from time to time. My original intention was to make it barn-dry and a bit dusty and seedy, and space the instruments as realistically as possible. Then I could not resist the textures and the interplay of the stringed instruments and celebrated a Haas fest.

I reached a point with this mix where my decisions become oscillating ("tad bit more vocals... ah, no, rather less"). Probably a good time to take a break and collect some feedback.

I'm happy enough with it, to be honest. I wanted the bass a bit woody and hollow (inspired by Ian's mix), the drums rather washed out, and spotlight the best moments of the stringed instruments. I think I accomplished that to a certain extent. The thing that I am unhappy with is the crash. And I knowingly sacrificed some mono compatibility.

Anything else? Bass too boomy? Vocals too edgy? What do you think?

Marc

"My original intention was to make it barn-dry and a bit dusty and seedy, and space the instruments as realistically as possible." As soon as I read that, I had the feeling this was going to be a good mix, and I was right; it's pretty obvious you've got a good handle on using your visual imagination to capture the right feel for a song. Wink

Actually, my only issues here are that the backing instruments sound just a tad dull, particularly in the opening, and the vocals sound just a tad sharp. Just some gentle EQ on the string instruments and backing down a dB or two on the existing EQ settings on your vocals and you have a winning mix here, IMHO.

Enjoyed this immensely! Smile
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince