Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Immaculate APZX Mix
So, yeah my first post and I have a mix to go with it. I am actually not 100% happy with the mix itself, but I think it sounds good enough.

My basic approach to this particular mix was to come up with something that makes the listener want to turn up the volume and just let it roar. To achieve this I used simple processing techniques paired up with a few things that I did not think would work but turned out quite good, at least I think they did.

At any rate I subject the mix to the web to get picked at. Please feel free to ask any questions. They could range from, "Are you crazy?" to "This sounds totally . . . bad." or even "It sounds pretty good." I don't really mind the question. I'll do my best to answer it though.

.mp3    Francis Dunnery - Immaculate (ZX mix).mp3 --  (Download: 6.88 MB)

hi apzx you take a diifernt rode than me, i keept the vocal dry and the drums with reverb you put on the vocal reverb and delay and the drums reverb jast come and go and no reverb on the toms . i didnt like that you took the reverb off on the second part its jast kill the transfer you need more power to lift it that and the bad timeing jast feel wrong.
soory .
Uzilevi,
The reverb on the drums is the drum room verb, so if there isn't enough verb on the toms it is the room itself not having a lot of verb on the toms. However, towards the end I didn't automate its level up as I just automated the parra comp up to give the drums more oomph for the final bit of the song. So, there is not a whole lot of drum verb at the end. With some extra automation I'm sure I could fill it in pretty easy.

i think it's bad mix
Welcome to the Discussion Zone, farwaterbsg!

(18-04-2013, 01:00 PM)farwaterbsg Wrote: i think it's bad mix

I think that's a bad reply. Wink

Seriously, this is of no use to APZX, so it'd be great if you could provide some more information on why you think the mix is bad, and perhaps suggest some ways it might be improved? We're all here to learn.

For more information about the spirit of the Discussion Zone, please take a moment to read The Three Commandments.
Hiya APZX

Not having the benefit of listening to other versions of this song for comparison I'm not sure what the other responses are referring to.
I think you have a nice smooth mix going on here. I love how the bass goes waaaay down low - is that part of the multitrack or something you've done to enhance the bottom end?
Maybe the bass is just a tad too loud compared to the rest of the instruments (I also have trouble placing bass at a reasonable level compared to everything else as I want to really feel it tickling the hairs in the back of my cochlea) and the vocals could do with coming up a little.
The vocalist's voice reminds me of Peter Gabriel, so maybe that's how I'm hearing how the song should be mixed. Guess you can't go wrong with aiming for that blend of voice vs instrumentation though Wink

Everything else is very good.
An interesting approach you have taken to turn the drum's buss compression way up for the finale. This would probably work better with the vocals up in level as they become further drowned out but I do like where you're coming from.

Well done for using your creativity in this mix!

Dags
So many songs, so little time!