Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preach right here - Marco's mix
Hi guys, this my mix. Please comment, always trying to improve and need some feedback (I'm relatively new to this forum, posted 4 mixes and still waiting for comments so please don't be shy!).

Marco

.mp3    Preach right here_Master mp3.mp3 --  (Download: 10.27 MB)

Voice is too loud and makes the the rest sound weak.

Drums are way too buried.
Please comment on others mixes, this site is all about feedback.
Wow very fast feedback, thanks a lot!
Yeah hearing it back I can hear voice is too loud (I thought it just needed more compression, but it's loud too). I had the impression that more volume on drums was punchier but distracting, I think I'm not so good with rock drums so maybe rising it up makes some problem more evident.
I'll post a new one with just less voice and more drums, so maybe you can find what the problem is (because I'm quite sure it will still not sound good)

Thanx again for your feedback!

Marco
Did those two corrections, do you think it's better now?

.mp3    Preach right here B_Master mp3.mp3 --  (Download: 10.27 MB)

Hello Marco! You really did a very big improvement in the B version! Bravo for your good job. I have to mention two things for even better results. First one your snare has lots of high frequencies which makes it a little harsh and confuses me when the drummer hits the cymbals and the hi-hat. This maybe is because you have used more the second snare sample. Try there to cut 2-3db of the 8kHz and boost the 2.5kHz and the 3kHz to make it more punchy and in your face. Finally i would like to hear a little louder the dulcimer in some parts because I feel it disappears. That's all because is a very good mix to my taste! Thank you very much for your comment and for asking my advice!
Hi, really glad to see your comment Andreas! And reading it, i find your suggestions precious as gold, that's really what i needed, thanks!
I'm happy to hear the snare is too "airy", because I kinda forced myself on that trying to get more air on final mix, for I find my mixes (on analyzers) are always lacking 15-20 kHz content and usually feel that my drums tend to be dark (especially snare). Don't like to force myself cause it leads me to not follow my ears, and find myself proceeding with blind try-and-error, quickly losing initial view, and never satisfied with final results. So it's good to know that was not the right way!
I'll follow your detailed indications and post a new one next days. If you think you hear what the problem could be about the lack of air of final mix, that would really be a breakthru to me (ok this last sentence seems a Queen verse).
Thanks a lot for your very useful help!
Look Marc the most valuable area for every song is between 40Hz and 15kHz. In this area the most important area is the mid range around 500Hz and 5kHz because this is where the human ear is more sensitive. So when you are mixing the most important thing is to have your mid range section (snare, toms, vocals, guitars, piano, etc) the clearest you can. That means that below 40Hz and above 15-16kHz is just ok to have less power!! Apart from that never forget that your best weapon is your ears! Trust your ears and just take a look at the meters only for confirmation. Finally if you want to be sure put a song of the same style that you believe it has a good mix into your daw and try with an analyzer to get the same frequency response to your mix!
Yeah, I know you're right and that's been my way to go till some time ago. Then had the luck to be assistant in one of the best studios here in Italy, with people I really respect for their work (my audio guru!), and they told me my problems with transportability (don't know if that's the term in English, I mean reproduction issues on different systems) were because of the frequencies I actually can't hear (sub lows and highest air), and suggested to compare my mixes on analyzers with well mixed and mastered tracks (that means Bob Ludwig's stuff to me) and experiment with that. That's why I'm doing this, but I think untill that will come naturally to me, that aim will
lead me away from really good mixes, but that's ok if it leads me to learn someting. Have to work and learn much...
Followed your suggestions Andreas (and didn't care about that air issue), think it sounds much better now, still have not heard it with fresh ears. Could've gone too far with something.

This mainly what I changed:

- less use of the snare sample track
- moved eq boost from 8kHz to 3kHz on snare bus
- minor consequent adjustments on drums
- dulcimer
- master bus eq

Feedbacks from anyone are of course welcome!

.mp3    Preach right here C_Master mp3.mp3 --  (Download: 10.27 MB)

Just made some subtle tweaks on dulcimer and vocals

.mp3    Preach right here D_Master mp3.mp3 --  (Download: 10.27 MB)