Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atrophy - HB Mix
Thought this song had a bit of Muse vibe going so I picked a few tracks off "Absolution" as references

.mp3    Atrophy_HB Mix_01_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 12.59 MB)

I like your version. The choruses have a guitar part I missed in mine, did you play that Big Grin
Some 7th chord first very confusing havin the ones i knew in my ears, but pretty cool and a good find if you digged it out of the multi.
My one, and for me very usual complaint, is the lack of extra punch in the chorus, the guitar part is loud, I´ll give you that, but the drums and bas doesnt hit harder, in fact it seems to me the verses have more impact on my system, the chorus are just squashed.
I attach a screenshot of your file and mine, yours is the upper one.

Good balance and tone to my ears - just a bit of masterin issues.

Thumbnail(s)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(18-09-2014, 01:17 PM)Voelund Wrote: I like your version. The choruses have a guitar part I missed in mine, did you play that Big Grin
Some 7th chord first very confusing havin the ones i knew in my ears, but pretty cool and a good find if you digged it out of the multi.
My one, and for me very usual complaint, is the lack of extra punch in the chorus, the guitar part is loud, I´ll give you that, but the drums and bas doesnt hit harder, in fact it seems to me the verses have more impact on my system, the chorus are just squashed.
I attach a screenshot of your file and mine, yours is the upper one.

Good balance and tone to my ears - just a bit of masterin issues.

Hey Voelund, thanks for your feedback.

All tracks are just whatever i downloaded....no overdubs or samples. I think the verse is punchier because of the toms...the drummer got a really nice groove going for that. The bass is a smidge low, and i did toy around with a slightly hotter level but in the end settled where i was as that's what i was hearing in my reference tracks.

I've uploaded the original mix if you're interested. Master has about 0.5db compression and around 4 db of gain going through the limiting amplifier. Not sure if its a mastering issue in the chorus.....more likely the mixBlush

.mp3    Atrophy_HB Mix_01.mp3 --  (Download: 12.59 MB)

I love the way your toms pop. I can't really hear the notes in the parts with guitar chords, that may just be a personal preference thing though. I also love what you did to the vocals in the heavier bits. Also, I just mixed a version of this and I can't for the life of me, figure out how to make the kick pop properly (poperly), I dunno if it's the recording or me. xP (probably me)
(18-09-2014, 04:55 PM)GreyTheColor Wrote: I love the way your toms pop. I can't really hear the notes in the parts with guitar chords, that may just be a personal preference thing though. I also love what you did to the vocals in the heavier bits. Also, I just mixed a version of this and I can't for the life of me, figure out how to make the kick pop properly (poperly), I dunno if it's the recording or me. xP (probably me)

Hey, Thanks for the feedback. Glad you enjoyed vox and toms, i thought the drummer had a real nice groove during the verses. Don't often mess too much with vox so was fun too to kinda grunge them up a bit in choruses.

Cheers