Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Good Time - fHumblemIx
(04-11-2014, 06:39 AM)azwayne Wrote: The backing vocals are an interesting touch. Smile

I like the increased spread you gave it on the second run at that chorus. You remember what you did there?

Nice mix!

Thanks - Ooh, now it's stretching it a bit to remember exactly what I did - I can't even refer to the original project file, because I've long since archived it in backup & deleted it off my hard drive to make space for other projects...

The backing vocals are just generated by copying the original vocal & adjusting the pitch to make harmonies. To make the harmonies sound more realistic, what I did with this one was copy the hook line "good time" from other places in the song where it was sung. That way, not only the pitch varied but the timing & delivery varied slightly too.

When I got to the second chorus, I simply added more voices & panned them out wider to try to create a "gathering party" kinda vibe that I was getting from the song.

If you listen closely, you can hear that I also added clap samples when the snare drum hits during the chorus also - these multiply & get wider in each subsequent chorus too.

I find a lot of mixers are very reticent to add anything to a track for fear of offending "the client's" sensibilities or appearing presumtuous. Having done a quite a bit of paid mixing work now, I've found that - pretty much without exception - if you add a little something when you feel it would benefit the finished mix, & do it with taste and a modicum of restraint, they will love it.

The key, of course, is to try to take a measure of the clients taste & intention - that often comes down to communication & people skills.

Thanks again for listening & commenting.
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Great post fH, you're always so precise and helpful.
You should really consider doing video tutorials, people would be all over them!
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
(04-11-2014, 02:43 PM)ptalbot Wrote: Great post fH, you're always so precise and helpful.
You should really consider doing video tutorials, people would be all over them!

Thanks Patrick... TBH, there are so many great (& not so great) video tutorials out there, I'm not sure anything could break through - Personally, I've always felt much more of an affinity for the written word than for video as an educational medium... I know I've gotten far more out of Mike's SOS Mix Rescue articles than I have from any video.... But maybe that's just meUndecided
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Well, what i was after was whether you added any stereo processing or whether this was just positioning of the different voices. I couldn't tell whether it sounded natural or not because for whatever reason, my ears are off lately. Think I spent too much time mixing "Loud and Clear" and threw my sensitivity off...

It can also be handy, as I gather, to ask the artist whether they're going for strict interpretation or whether they're okay with you using your own sensibilities to try to move it up a notch. Were it my music, I'd probably be of two minds on the subject, likely saying, "Yeah, go ahead but be prepared to remove whatever you add if I don't like it."
Old West Audio
(05-11-2014, 04:21 AM)azwayne Wrote: Well, what i was after was whether you added any stereo processing or whether this was just positioning of the different voices. I couldn't tell whether it sounded natural or not because for whatever reason, my ears are off lately. Think I spent too much time mixing "Loud and Clear" and threw my sensitivity off...

It can also be handy, as I gather, to ask the artist whether they're going for strict interpretation or whether they're okay with you using your own sensibilities to try to move it up a notch. Were it my music, I'd probably be of two minds on the subject, likely saying, "Yeah, go ahead but be prepared to remove whatever you add if I don't like it."

Yeah, I thought you were referring to the backing vocals, but I wasn't certain - No stereo processing per se - just panning & adding more voices.

...& yes, you have to be prepared to have your suggestions turned down, but usually an artist that is fairly secure will be open to anything that improves the finished production.

Really nice mix Smile but a little too much of low end and compression IMHO.
(28-05-2015, 10:51 PM)Duguy Wrote: Really nice mix Smile but a little too much of low end and compression IMHO.

Hi Duguy, thanks!

I did this mix quite a while ago now, so I think I've improved a bit since then Huh...

Listening back now, I think I would probably use compression a little more transparently now - I agree that it's lacking in some "open-ness" dynamically-speaking.

However, I do think the low end is where I wanted it to be on this mix - it has a nice thump and punch on my studio system (which has a subwoofer), without being overbearing IMO.... At least, it seems to stand up pretty well against commercial references in that respect on my system. It's seems to come across well on smaller speakers too.

Thanks for listening & commenting!
(29-05-2015, 05:20 AM)fHumble fHingaz Wrote:
(28-05-2015, 10:51 PM)Duguy Wrote: Really nice mix Smile but a little too much of low end and compression IMHO.

Hi Duguy, thanks!

I did this mix quite a while ago now, so I think I've improved a bit since then Huh...

Listening back now, I think I would probably use compression a little more transparently now - I agree that it's lacking in some "open-ness" dynamically-speaking.

However, I do think the low end is where I wanted it to be on this mix - it has a nice thump and punch on my studio system (which has a subwoofer), without being overbearing IMO.... At least, it seems to stand up pretty well against commercial references in that respect on my system. It's seems to come across well on smaller speakers too.

Thanks for listening & commenting!
A lot of aspects are subjectives in a mix that why i precised "in my humble opionion"Wink.
Hi FytaKyte! I came looking for your mix haha. Yours is the first around here that has that punch I love. It seems like we have similar taste. Great mix!