Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KaYeung "Catching Up" mix
first time posting here! i will be more than happy to see your comments! SmileSmile

.mp3    Catching Up KaYeung So Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 8.43 MB)

Sounds great to me. I like the bright sound of your mix. (My version is maybe too "dark" or ”smooth”)

Good vocal sound. That’s the main thing in this song.

Some minor points that came to my mind

PANNING
The acoustic guitar has a big role in your mix. Sound is great as such. But I you listen with headphones for example around 1:10 onwards it feels that there should be some close instrument in the right to balance the close acoustic guitar in right. Now it feels that there's more activity in the left.

Also the acoustic guitar is masking some nice guitar fills here and there (for example 1.20)

DRUMS
When the strong drums come in around 2.22 it feels they are slightly over-compressed. I think that part could benefit of slightly bigger impact. How about giving some more headroom to the beginning of the song. With that change you could introduce much more dynamic drums to ending of the song.

I wonder if the sharp acoustic guitar could be darker and less dominant when the strong drums come in. Maybe the end could be less ”acoustical” and more ”rock”. Ie. the role of the acoustic guitar could merely supportive in the end, not any more the groove maker. That way there could be more growth in this mix. The growth is certainly built in to the arrangement.

Anyway, great sound. I'm looking forward to your mixes of other songs.