Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
BackArt Mix
Hi all, looks like for some good constructive criticism on this mix. i am learning my way around my analog desk (allen heath GSR24). i love it but quite a change from mixing in the box.
i have a reaper setup, lots of plugin and automation happening first then feed into the console, some hardware parallel compression on the drums, transient designer, then stereo ssl type compressor and stereo tube eq back into reaper with further mastering stuff going on. thanks for listening.

.mp3    mix.mp3 --  (Download: 9.96 MB)

Hi BlackArtMixing,
I think you forgot to attach your mp3 file.
BTW I'm the producer of the original recordings with the band and SSL type compression is the right path Wink
Looking forward to hearing your mix! There've been plenty of decent mixes on this page, the band is happy about so much feedback Smile

Cheers,
Till
i've updated my post now. i forgot to click add attachment button. i like the band very much and the style is interesting. i like the progressive elements towards the end but it might put some people off. anyway hope you like the mix.
(28-08-2014, 02:32 PM)BlackArtMixing Wrote: i've updated my post now. i forgot to click add attachment button. i like the band very much and the style is interesting. i like the progressive elements towards the end but it might put some people off. anyway hope you like the mix.

Wow, I'm impressed. That's a really crisp and round mix, well done! How long did it take?
I'd only suggest some minor changes that might be a matter of taste, I think that the first tom might be a bit too present (in the first verse) and the vocals could be a little less thin, the guitar and vocal harmonies could stay a bit more in the background. The guitarist (who was sitting next to me for almost the whole mixing process) would say that the kick is too clicky but I would have EQ'd it the same way if he didn't insist on that. Nice automations and use of effects, you seem to deal with compressors way better than I do.
The drums are tight and well fit in the mix, guitars are awesome, you got a good bass guitar tone and balanced it well with the kick drum and the vocals (as I said) are a bit thin, but they have some kind of light old school distortion, am I right? They sound like tape recorded. May be the SSL.
If you compare your mix to the band's original one (here)
they seem to be really close. The band would be happy with it, I think I will show it to them.
I also like the dynamics you left in the mastering. The guy who did the mastering for us seems to be a huge fan of L1-limiter and we told him more than once that he shouldn't overcompress it.
All in all, awesome work! 9/10. Would send to a label company as a demo.

Cheers,
Till

PS: On the bandcamp page you'll see "High on Life" which is the newest song I've done with the band. I can provide the stems here if you're interested, you're the first one not to complain about the complexity of a Forkupines-song.
thanks! yea it took a while really. its just been one i've had in the background for a while. took me a while to get happy with the sound, especially the guitars. have to say i'm not a big fan of that tom sound. couldn't do much with it really. the vocal in the first verse has a bit of decapitator on it and the same with the middle breakdown vocal part but the rest is fairly clean. there was some de-essing, compresion, eq and saturation going on. controlling the dynamics of the vocal performance was quite a challenge. but a i used a lot of clip gain and automation for that. i see what you mean about the mastered on the your mix. its very squeezed.
would be happy to try out some more so please send me the stems of the other track and i'll have a go at it.
also i am always looking out for paid work so if you have anything that needs mixing/mastered etc or if you know anyone etc, please drop me a message. Smile
On second thought the snare bottom might be a bit too present. The snare could have a bit less "rattly" sound and more punch, attack. Just as a modern alternative or metal snare.. but I had trouble with the snare as well, so mine doesn't sound better Big Grin
Plus, what about some more reverb in the half-time part at the end of the song? This might need some room to sound "epic". Smile
Nice touch with the modulation effects on the intro. Overall this is a nice mix, very punchy. You managed to get a really nice tone out of the vocals, which for me was the most difficult part to mix.
I do agree on what wurstdrummer (heh heh heh nice name) said about the bottom mic of the snare might be too present, those are mostly to give a bit of body and more presence to ghost notes, but boosting the top mic will give the snare more attack.
But overall, one of the most decent mixes I've heard of this song. Good job!
- Elena Íviel Williams.
twitter: @elenaiwilliams
facebook.com/elenaiwilliams
youtube.com/elenaiwilliams
Nice mix. The balance is good nd the vibe fits the song.

The snare could have more attack.
Please comment on others mixes, this site is all about feedback.