Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My mix
Mixed on Presonus Studio One, version 2.0
AMD Dual 64bit 6GB Ram, Windows 7 Professional 64bit system.
Used EQ and compressor on Kick.
Used Limiter and Don't Crack Dimension 3D on Drums Bus
DC Dimension 3D on Guitars Bus
SPL Passeq and Vitalizer MK2-T on Master Bus.

.mp3    LouisCressyBand_GoodTime.mp3 --  (Download: 8.73 MB)

Hi Jack, and welcome to the Discussion Zone!

You've started off with a bold statement with that flange, that's for sure! Smile It rather caught me off balance, because I was already familiar with the original version, but now that I've got used to it, I have to say that it's an admirable bit of lateral thinking (as well as just a funky noise in its own right), because it allows you to avoid a sparse-sounding stereo image without resorting to additional overdubs, editing tricks, or imbalanced panning. It certainly sounds much fuller and more satisfying than the preview mix to me as a result. I'd probably have tried to make the sound a bit more gutsy in the 1-2kHz range, though, as the effect is rather sucking that out. Having said that, it works better where there are more competing parts going towards the end of the track, which might mean that it's a case of applying some multing or automation to have your cake and eat it.

One other potential downside of the flange effect, though, is that it appears to soften the rhythmic drive of the playing, and I wonder if it might have been a better compromise to leave some of the uneffected sound still playing at the centre of the soundstage? However, my main rhythmic concern is that the kick doesn't really seem to have enough gravitas. Yes, there's some sub-200Hz stuff going on there, but it seems overpowered by the bass, and not matched by enough 'small speaker friendly' energy in the 300-900Hz area. Listening to the raw multitracks, I'm guessing that the virtual 'outside kick mic' holds the key here, so you could perhaps remedy this issue without EQ, simply by rebalancing a little. The snare also feels a bit lightweight in that region too, somehow, but it's admittedly rather the nature of the raw snare sound that's been chosen here.

Despite these niggles, I'd say you've taken a fairly sensible line on balancing issues in general, as well as in placing the vocal level against the backing. That said, I reckon this calibre of vocal performance has so many great little nuances that it'd be worth automating more comprehensively than I suspect you've done so far -- there are still moments when the vocal seems to be overpowering the band, and others where we're losing lyric syllables. While you're at it, you might also want to attend to the sibilance, either by automating or by using some kind of de-esser, because places like 3:13-3:15 feel pretty abrasive at the moment.

Hope that all makes sense, and that at least some of it helps! Smile
Thanks Mike, your advice sure makes a lot of sense, and gives me a clear picture of what needs to be done to make it better. You seem to have a deep understanding of how this whole thing works. I will give attention and hopefully improve the mix. 'Till then, thanks again, you're very kind.
hi jack i think your balance need more work are you changeing the volume when you working on the balance if you do stop Wink the building can be beter . i loved your drums but you over eq the top end and this kill the vocal so you need more eq on the vocal and this makes siblance to be way up there .
hope this halps.
uzi.
Here's a mix following your advice to the best of my knowledge. Brought up the second kick and boosted eq around 800hz. Eq'd snare a bit around 300hz. Copied guitar, mixed straight sound with flanged and eq'd around 1.5k and finally used Waves Vocal Rider to automate levels and used Waves Renaissance de-esser on vocal track. Everything else remains the same.

.mp3    LouisCressyBand_GoodTime(2).mp3 --  (Download: 8.73 MB)