Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About This Multitrack
You can find the multitrack files for this project in the 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library.

Before posting a mix, please read The Three Commandments!
Please post your mix as a new thread, rather than as a reply to this sticky.

Here's some more project info you might find useful:
  • About The Raw Multitracks:
    • The 15 drum-sample tracks comprise kick; a separate sub-bass drop; rimshot; snare; clap; eight(!) hi-hats; and two toms. In addition, there are six tracks of synthetic stereo transition effects.
    • There are two primary synth parts that fulfil the role of bass.
    • A further 15 synth parts comprise three main lead lines, and a selection of different pads and arpeggiator-style textures.
  • Challenges You're Likely To Face:
    • There are a lot of tracks here, so it's easy to lose the underlying plot of your mix while grappling with them all.
    • The drums are primarily in mono, so may seem a bit narrow compared with many of the stereo transition effects and synths unless you think a bit creatively.
    • The two bass parts coincide for one section, so be on the lookout for potentially unwanted LF phase interaction between them.
    • Towards the end of the mix, there are so many layers of synthesizer in the texture that there's a danger that frequency masking will cause everything to just blur together into an indistinct mass.
  • Some Mixing Tips: This isn't a multitrack I've mixed myself, but here are some thoughts on instinct.
    • If you'd like some suggestions for stereo enhancement techniques, check out this resources page.
    • I'd personally high-pass filter the first bass part during the section that it's combined with the second bass part. The rhythmic element of the second part is more interesting at the low end, I reckon.
    • Concentrate on emphasising and enhancing the unique identity of each drum and synthesizer part to make each one more resistant to masking by the others. In tandem with this, try to make sure that each part remains as efficient as possible in terms of its use of the frequency spectrum, timeline, and stereo panorama. In particular, don't give anything any more frequency range than it actually needs to do its job.
    • Be very careful with reverbs in this mix. If you do use any, then be ruthless with the return-channel EQ so that you don't wash out all the mix details. Where possible, use delays instead, and careful with the feedback levels.

If you have any other general questions about this multitrack, just reply to this post and I'll see what I can do.