Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forkupines Sematics Mix
Here is my mix for Forkupines' song Semantics. I'll try to break down what I did to achieve this mix as best I can. This is one of my first few dozen mixes so it's not anything too spectacular.

The first thing I did was tackle the drums. I replaced the kick and snare with Toontrack Superior Drummer 2.0 samples which I found to be "superior" to the original drums. I ran a parallel kick compression track which was blended in -15db or so. I did a simple high pass filter at 300 hz and compressed the crap out of it. I also did a kick bass parallel send track down -13 or -14 db just to add some more low end to the kick sample. I did the same parallel compression trick with the snare and made a parallel send for the reverb as well. I also side chained just about every track one or two db with the snare just to let it come through a bit better.

The lead vocals I just did some basic E.Q., compression, and reverb. High pass filter around 60hz, cut out around 150 hz for the snare body, around 3.5khz for the snare/kick attack, and boosted by 1.5 db for some extra shine. I took a very similar approach to the backing vocals as well minus the reverb.

As for the bass tracks, I blended together the amp tones I liked with the DI signal, notched out around 3.5k, 150, and 55hz. Gave a boost using a high-shelf filter from 8k up to help the bass stick out a bit more in the track.

Last but not least the guitars I just did some simple compression at the buss level, some E.Q. at the buss level, and panned them either hard right or hard left, with the exception of the solo in the middle with the vocals and the stereo guitar tracks. I really just wanted to get the guitars out of the way of the vocals and drums. There was nothing special going on with the melody or rhythm of the guitar parts so...

The last thing I did was E.Q. the master buss with a boost of 0.8db at 3.5k, and 0.8db at 20k, and set up two limiters to try and boost the overall loudness of the track.

Any comments and feedback would be much appreciated! I'm still in the very early stages of learning to record and mix music so I am open to suggestions and new ways of looking at a mix. Thank you!

.mp3    Forkupines Semantics Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 5.22 MB)

Pretty good mix. Fits the vibe nicely.

Only complain is that the voice has some low/low mids resonances that muddy them sometimes.

Guitars could have more weight.
Please comment on others mixes, this site is all about feedback.
Hi!
Producer of the original song here. Good job, I really like it! The balance is awesome. It sounds rough and tight!
(19-12-2014, 03:27 PM)wurstdrummer Wrote: Hi!
Producer of the original song here. Good job, I really like it! The balance is awesome. It sounds rough and tight!

Thanks I really appreciate it!