Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Burning Bridges - HB Mix
(21-09-2014, 11:33 PM)thelongestyear Wrote: Mix_03 is definitely the winner of those three, and it works in a lot of ways. My main cocerns:
kick - a bit "mushy", when the double bass kicks in it sorta becomes a drone. Or maybe it's just me. Smile
bass - could have more mid-range. it would definitely improve its relationship with the guitars.
overheads - bring them up a bit, don't be shy.
vocal - nicely placed but could benefit from a little bit of de-essing.
guitars - a bit of higer mid boosting would do the trick in terms of relationship with the vox and the cymbals.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm probably due a mix_04 at some stage, see if i can zero in a bit more. I like your idea of bringing up OH's and balancing frequency spectrum with vox and guitars plus i'd like to have another go at drums

cheers
I’m a bit late to the party, but I listened to Mix_03. Not bad! I can tell that you spent a while on this mix considering how crowded the thread is. I know you probably got a lot of critique already, but here is my opinion on your current mix:

- Bass is a bit muddy and the low-miss stick out a bit too much for me
- The background vocals are a bit loud for my taste. I would probably back them off especially in the chorus where I noticed it the most.
- I would definitely bring up the cymbals, because there are times where I can barely tell they are there.
- I would say the mix in general is just a bit dark. I would try to make it brighter with a mix bus eq.
- The background vocals during the solo are pretty loud. I feel like they should be put back in the mix so the guitar solo has more of the spotlight.

Other than that, I think you got some good stuff here. Good luck!

- Nick