Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Mix for ya'll
Here's my mix. Gimme the feedback, had trouble making the drums sound good, what did you guys do with the drums?

Thanks

.mp3    Master2.mp3 --  (Download: 4.47 MB)

The balance needs work. The rhythm guitar is up too much and the accent lines aren't coming through. The vocals also sound a bit distant. Might want to try adding a dB or two in the 3-4kHz range to give it more presence.

As for the drums, what usually gets me with drum parts is trying to get the kit in balance. I have the most trouble with overhead and room mics because I haven't quite figured out how to treat them correctly though. I tend to have cymbals either too prominent or almost missing. So my advice there is that once you have figured out how you need to EQ the individual drum mics, to mix the kit as a whole before you go to anything else. What I will tend to do is start with the kick and just make it a good kick sound, noting whether or not there's good body in it and I have the option of thump or smack being the dominant factor. Then I'll go to snare and do much the same thing, noting how much ring it has and whether it is good ring or bad ring. Once I've gone through the kit, I'll route them to a group fader and start mixing the kit together, just trying to make it sound like good drums. I'll bring the overall levels up almost to the point where the main starts to push the red zone and then back the group fader off 3-4 dB. Next I'll add in the bass and get those two to sit well together. This is often what comprises the basic tracks on a recording, drums and bass. I find that if you can get these two to cooperate and then mix everything else against that combination that it helps you to be able to figure out how to get everything to settle well. As I'm adding in other instruments, I may also mute everything but the drums and bass and take a measure against them before adding in those I've already got in place.

Hope this helps!
Old West Audio
I used Maserrati drums for all the drum tracks and drum bus as well. Also api eq on all. The drums were tough for me to. I put an h-comp on the master bus and after leveling it out I cranked it. I also used a pre-set for one of my api's, called "Drum Kit" or something to that effect.
Thanks for the comments, think making more decisions on the individual sounds of the drum kit would be beneficial to help give me direction!
I agree the vocals could be a bit more present