Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gallitoh's Mix and Master
Hi everyone good to find this web for practice. I'm a 20 years old producer from Argentina. I like the song. I'll upload both Mix and Master to see the differences in color and volume. Hope you can leave a comment/question about that and the feeling I've reached Tongue

Thanks!

PD: I did the Master at 1AM with Headphones haha

.mp3    Gallitoh\'s Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 3.4 MB)

.mp3    Gallitoh\'s Master.mp3 --  (Download: 3.39 MB)

Hi there and welcome!
I heard the files on headphones too and definitely prefer the mastered version. Think you achieved a real improvement with self-mastering, which in my opinion is not so common - often the volume increase fools you leading to wrong decisions, but in this case I like the differences -

Didn't like much the viola solo, seems a little messy to me and feels like suddenly there's no more a hierarchy between the instruments and it's hard to understand what to listen to. But maybe that was just what you wanted?

Marco
Hi Marco! glad to see an opinion Tongue You're right about self-mastering.. I still have problems with volumes I reach but if I'm mastering something I've just mix, I obviously want to tweak to the minimum.. I mean, you're supposed to achieve something like you want in the mix. I hate when people make a huge distortion to gain some level. I don't think I can distort so much with some random plugins. Thanks for that.

About the viola solo, I didn't think exactly what I was doing but yes, I was looking for something messy (and dizzy), that was my feeling. Actually, you can hear I automated those screams (SFX) to be louder and "Synth2" like going "up and down" in that section.

Here is the same Master but with my brother we added an Izotope at the end, we gained a lot of volume you can see.. But I don't know if I can do it myself alone.

.mp3    Triviul - Angelsaint MASTER 2.mp3 --  (Download: 3.39 MB)

Yeah you gained a lot of volume - definitely more than my mix! -, and this master is cool too. Maybe, just for my tastes, just a little too much distortion added, that little too much that makes you lose some definition.
I am no mastering pro, but I think sharing personal experiences is always welcome, so here's mine about volume: converted your mp3 in wav and found it was clipping, +0.2 dBTP. Other mixes of this song I measured were clipping too after conversion, so it's quite common practice (don't take this as a critic!). In my experience I found that the mp3 mastering practice of setting the final limiter output to -1dB instead of -0.1dB (used for CD mastering) always has good results in being safe, and you can convert without clipping. If you use a safe true peak limiter -0.8dB is often good too (I used this setting for my mix).
Sometimes in mastering meters are good friends, I also find very useful comparing different mix versions at same average LUFS level (after the untouched-levels comparison), it really can change your mind about what is better - volume's such a lier! -