Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Doppler Shift mix!
Did this mix in about 7 hours. Used CLA trigger samples for the kick and snare.

Was a fun mix, lacking harmonies to really make the chorus big though.

Critic is welcome! Always looking to improve!

Thanks,
J

.mp3    DopplerShift.mp3 --  (Download: 7.24 MB)

Very much a "wall of sound" style. To my ear, you had a bit of the same trouble with the tracks. . . it's sounds boxed in. Also, for my taste, your drums are up a touch too much. They are dwarfing the vocals, imo. I LOVED the intro, though. Also, take a look at the low end of your drums. Your toms are a little too bottom heavy. I can't say too much, though, I always add too much ass to my mixes. I love your creative choices, just take a look at the space the song exists man. Thanks for sharing!

Draper
(07-08-2014, 09:17 PM)loweche6 Wrote: Very much a "wall of sound" style. To my ear, you had a bit of the same trouble with the tracks. . . it's sounds boxed in. Also, for my taste, your drums are up a touch too much. They are dwarfing the vocals, imo. I LOVED the intro, though. Also, take a look at the low end of your drums. Your toms are a little too bottom heavy. I can't say too much, though, I always add too much ass to my mixes. I love your creative choices, just take a look at the space the song exists man. Thanks for sharing!

Draper

Thx man! Yes.. I mixed my drums loud, guilty as charged Tongue I love banging drums! I have to say, the wall of sound wasn't hard to achieve, didn't do much to the guitars, they fit perfectly in the context of the mix. Thanks for listening!
My gosh, nice intro.. I mean.. NICE INTRO..sorry, did i stress it enuf? Tongue

Now..
- Nice drum samples. Though i thought it was a "indie rock" song, you turnt it into a kinda heavy rock (?) song? Well, i can't really say anything about that Tongue
I think i like this version too.
- Watch out for these low mid freqs. They are booming your drum set i think.
- Nice guitar sound for my taste. Suits the whole vibe of the song.
Just a lil imbalance between them and the vocals @ chorus
- Transition phase: Nice guitars, again! Vocals are ok. Till the "sit and wait " part in the lyrics. I would like the dynamics to be treated better at that point.
I mean, in the Tr.Phase everything stops and calms down and you got your vocals and the rest of the sound surrounding it. I would like it to escalate till you hit 4.20.
- And man, oh man, you made him actually sing. He was a bit off tune @ many points Tongue

Anyway, thats what i hear on my setup here.
Hope it helps.
Cheers!

PS. I must have listened to that intro about 6 times till this PS Tongue
I really liked this mix - The whole thing hangs together really nicely and you've got a great groove going with the drums and bassCool

I'm noticing some FX artifacts on vox in verses...maybe a timing issue with a delay/flanger...a good example happens at 0.38 around the phrase "time to forget"...there's like a wobble that's clouding the clarity of the vox.

Nice job
This is good, I don't mind that it sounds like the singer is trying to break through with the instruments being a tad louder then him. That can be a cool aspect to have sometimes. Vocals in the verses sound awesome, reminds me of queens of the stone age ish with the verb